Technics SX-KN2600 "Error in CPU data transmission"

Reaction score
I have had this keyboard for 8 years and it has been used very lightly (when my mother comes to visit she uses it to practice occasionally). However, now I am trying to use it as a MIDI controller and audio keyboard with Cubase. I have connected it before and it appeared fine, but today when I switched it on the display panel just says "Error in CPU data transmission" and it does nothing more. Looking this up on the internet I have heard to switch it off for some time and turn it back on again. I turned it off at power for about 30 minutes and tried again and got the same error. I have also read some recommendations to perform a hard reset from the program menu. However, this is not possible as I cannot get into any menus as the keyboard is totally unresponsive. After so many years of virtually no usage it is annoying that this has happened just when I have some meaningful tasks for it. I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice to rectify this situation. Many thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well first of all here's a link to your manual.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SXKN2400.PDF

Your first step should be to attempt a factory initialize using the procedure on page 186.

If that fails use the procedure on 189.

Turn off the POWER button once, then turn it on again.
If this procedure is not successful, turn off the POWER
button once. Then, while pressing the three lower left
buttons in the RHYTHM GROUP section (JAZZ &
SWING, BALLROOM & SHOW and LATIN &
WORLD) at the same time, turn the POWER button on
again. (Note that, in this case, all programmable set-
tings, functions and memories return to their factory-
preset status.)

Secondly, even though there's no mention of one anywhere in the manual that doesn't necessarily mean that there's no battery inside the unit.

Usually there's a small Lithium CR2042 button battery or something similar soldered internally to hold the internal settings in memory when the power is turned off.

My suggestion would be to contact Technics 800 service number and ask them if there is a lithium battery inside and whether or not it's user replaceable.

Gary

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Thank-you very much for your response. I tried the reset as you suggested, but the error remains. I also rang Panasonic (owner of the Technics brand) who told me they don't make keyboards anymore and put me in touch with a local repairer (not much help as when I rang them, I was informed they only fix televisions!). I guess I am left with finding someone with the knowledge to try and replace the battery (if indeed it does exist), although a Google search did not reveal very much locally (I live on the Kent / London border). Pretty disappointed as it is a nice keyboard which was not used much at all, and will have to keep an eye out for any potential keyboard offers - unless anyone else has any thoughts?

Thanks

Reaction score
Yes - get in touch with these people - they are only just over the Thames from you.
http://www.wdgreenhill.com/
Already did. Left my details with the operator and she said an engineer would call me back. They never did.

Weirdly the keyboard works now as long as you don't try and connect it to the laptop. I have ordered another cheap keyboard to use for that as that cost me less than it would be to 'fix' the Technics and considering it is 8 years younger, will probably sound better too - albeit with less features.

Thanks

Reaction score
Not sure what you're using your keyboards for but i play a KN7000 professionally and have many song specific rhythms collated over a good few years which would of course work in the KN2600. Let me know if there is anything you want.

Reaction score
That never even occurred to me to be honest, although it is a very kind offer. Do you use your keyboard as a MIDI controller at all? Could not get mine to work in that capacity.

Reaction score
No nor could I...I recently added an app to my I-pad called Galileo Organ which I wanted to connect up to my keyboard but nothing...I couldn't get a tweak out of it.

Reaction score
No nor could I...I recently added an app to my I-pad called Galileo Organ which I wanted to connect up to my keyboard but nothing...I couldn't get a tweak out of it.
Oh well, in a way I am glad because it justifies my spending a note excessive £194 on a Yamaha psr-e443.

Reaction score
Yes I know what you mean...I ended up buying a iRig Universal Keyboard Controller to connect to my Ipad in order to use the App...

Reaction score
I get that "cant read memory" message some days ago.
I've had some problems with power source due to a bad power switch. I found a pair of free cables inside of it that could had made a shorcircuit, and some ashes from the cigarrettes of the tecnician that reapired that power problem.
:(
Now it works properly.

Reaction score
Oh, And I forgot, there's a webpage where the original Panasonic files remain free and downloadable, but it's a deutsch web.
The files are english ones, and they're FREE.
ca-software
well, I can't put the full link as I'm new

Reaction score
It seems this page has a very smart system to detect web adresses, but not to detect humans... ****ing robots!

Ask a Question