Testing Waters: Super-fookin rare Casio AZ-1 "keytar"

Reaction score
By testing the waters, I mean that I'm just looking for anyone who might be interested in it for now. I've seen a good offer on a Roland AX-1 somewhere that is tempting me.

Not that I would feel that I would prefer the AX-1, it's just that the AZ-1 has several problems, which I am trying to get fixed. I'm growing impatient with it...

These 2 problems are:
1-Slightly faulty pitch bender... when toggled, it makes the pitch of whatever synth you're running it through go what I estimate to be a quarter-semitone sharp. Besides that, the pitch bender still bends up and down as normal.
2-Digital display has ceased to function. I knowingly got it like this from the last person who owned it. It doesn't mean the keytar can't be used. Sure, the keytar would be a bit easier to use if it did work. But then, not all keytars have digital displays- so yeah. Ya don't need one! The Roland AX-1 for instance...

I'm actually trying to have the AZ-1 repaired at the moment (I figured maybe if the price was right, I could get the digital display fixed as well as the pitch bender). The repairers are trying to locate a service manual for it. I reckon they're just being slightly lazy.

No photos unfortunately. You'll just have to take my word for this: for a plastic moulded unit that's more than 20 years old, it's in GOOD condition. No horrific gouges and cracks and hols and dents on the end of the handle... just the usual body scratches.

I can provide the original strap, and I know a link off the net with the entire users manual in a PDF!

If you're really really interested, in a sort of prepaired-to-pay-right-now kinda way, maybe I can arrange some photos.

As for price... would $800AU be asking too much? :eek: quite possibly.
Make an offer. Keep in mind that this thing does have 2 faults, everything else works fine however, and I'm almost certain you can get these fixed- and also that it's in good nick for what it is, and also that you will not come across one of these for sale too often AT ALL.

OK, that's all!

Thanks for reading!

KMK

Reaction score
I have an AX-1 still in the box. If interested, post here and we can connect via phone.

Reaction score
NO LONGER LOOKING Casio AZ-1 "keytar"

Wow, forgot I posted this.

Alright, KMK I'm not entirely certain what you want. I'm guessing you're hoping that if I sold the AZ-1 I could use the funds to buy your AX-1? Well anyway, an update:

Earlier this year the AZ-1 got fixed. It is now in perfect working condition, all the problems I mentioned in my first post are no more. Because of this, I don't feel like like selling it nearly as much as I did at some stage... but I could still sell it for a price... a high price at that. This aside, right now I have no money to throw around. To buy another keytar, I would have to sell this and ahhhhhhh effortefforteffort... and shipping woes... *lives in Australia*.. and I don't think I could afford an AX-1 still in its box.

So I think I'm no longer looking.

But in case anyone's really desperate..
I would sell the AZ-1 right now for $1600 US :p:rolleyes:
I would CONSIDER selling it right now for $1100 US :p
I wouldn't think about selling it right now for =< $800 US.

That pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about selling it at the moment.

Reaction score
AdamGBB, my AZ-1 has similar problems

My AZ-1 seems like it has very similar problems to the one you got fixed.

MIDI outputs, patch buttons work, but the display doesn't work, and the LED's don't light up, except the "Power" LED.

Do you have any idea what the repair guys did to fix your AZ-1, in general terms?

Did they get the schematics?

How much did it cost?

And are the repairs "holding?" Did you keep the AZ-1, and have you had any more problems with it?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Reaction score
Heh, I haven't been on here in a while.

Anyway, to answer Qs:

- I don't actually. I know it was some midi fault, that's it. Maybe something wrong with the midi out. I didn't know enough about midi then and to be honest, I still don't know enough now.

- I had to source the schematics myself (they didn't tell me I need to provide them until after 2-3 months or so, f*ckers), I managed to find an obscure website which sold photocopies of various schematics-y manuals along with one for the AZ-1. I can see if I can remember the website if you want. He charged $27US shipped

- $180AU all up. This included a fee for "having a look at it", I forget what that cost alone... or possibly they never told me and went right ahead and fixed it. As a side note, they closed down immediately after and I found a new place which told me they would have a look at it for.. I think $100-110AU. Something stupid like that... which brings me to my answer for Q4..

- I kept it, still have it, it's currently out of action again. Hard to say if the repairs themselves "held"... let me explain, it was working perfectly for a long while, but I started experiencing problems with it I think earlier this year, I forget when exactly. I have no idea what's wrong with it, it's hard to explain. It doesn't seem to be sending midi properly. For example, when I hook it up to my Roland JV1080, I'll press a key/button/etc on the AZ-1 and a "midi msg recieved" light flashes on and off on the JV like it's supposed to do each time I press something..l so it recognises that it's there. But.. to word poorly, it won't "obey". No sound comes out when I press a key, it won't change presets when I flip to a new preset from the AZ-1, it just won't do shit. The JV has no qualms with my other keyboard (DJX- cheap yamaha beginner synth/keyboard) when I hook it up, and will work perfectly. Furthermore, when I tried running the AZ-1 to the DJX it still wouldn't work.

tl;dr- Doesn't work, no idea what's wrong, probably something to do with midi again. Needless to say, if anyone reading this can shed any more light on this, I am ALL EARS.

Current situation: It's been at the back of my mind. I mentioned beforehand that I got a quote to have it looked, I might plug in for that, but I'm starting to get a bit sick of it bleeding me of money. Also been thinking about selling it as is to someone who might feel more bothered to have it fixed than me (make an offer if you feel interested, be reasonable). It was fun while it lasted though.. all the same .. damn you, quater-life crisis purchase!

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question