touch response problem in yamaha psr e343

pam

Reaction score
I purchased a new Yamaha PSR e343. When I turned it on and tried different voices, I could barely hear any sounds.. Sounds were just bad... Only after turning the touch-response option OFF, I can hear properly. I don't know what's the problem. I checked the troubleshooting manual, but they blame quiet sounds to low battery. I am using AC adapter, so battery is definitely not an issue. I played with various functions related to volume, but none of them seemed to give good sounds for touch response. With the touch response ON, sounds are hardly audible.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If the keyboard is working correctly, the usual cause for this would be a low Volume setting on the Main Voice, Dual Voice, and/or Split Voice. The PSR-E343 and other models have a feature called "Voice Set" that automatically sets the Main Voice parameters, Dual On/Off, Dual Voice Number and Dual Voice parameters, and certain other Functions when you select a Voice Number for the Main Voice. For many of the Voice Numbers the default Volume is set rather low, presumably to help make that particular Voice sound more "natural" (since some instruments are naturally louder than others).

To make sure that this is not the cause, select a (Main) Voice Number, then go to the Function menu and set the Main Voice Volume (Function 009, "M.Volume") to 127. Now play the keyboard-- with Touch Sensitivity turned on-- and see if the Voice sounds okay. You might also turn Touch Sensitivity off for comparison, but keep in mind that if Touch Sensitivity is turned on then it's normal to have to strike the keys harder (faster) to get louder notes, so turning Touch Sensitivity off will of course make the Voice sound louder.

If it seems pretty clear that there's an issue, try turning the keyboard off, then turn it back on while holding down the highest (rightmost) C note to clear the keyboard's backup memory. Now try the above procedure again to see if clearing the backup made any difference.

If it appears that something isn't quite right with the Touch Sensitivity, take the keyboard back to the store to tell them about the issue and to see about getting it repaired or replaced while it's still under warranty.

pam

Reaction score
so this is expected of any keyboard with touch response? I could hardly hear any sounds when I turned the touch response ON.. After I turned it OFF, I could hear all instrument voices just fine.. changing the volume settings didn't seem to affect the sound quality or volume much..

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It's to be expected that turning on the touch response/touch sensitivity will affect the sound level of the notes depending upon how hard (fast) you strike the keys. There are three different levels you can set it to-- or four if you count "off" as one of the levels.

But that doesn't mean you might not have a problem with the touch sensitivity feature. If you've tried different things to see whether or not there's a problem, and it seems like something about the touch sensitivity isn't functioning correctly, I'd take the keyboard back to the dealer while it's still under warranty. In fact, you might want to take it back regardless, just to tell the dealer about the issue, let them try it out, and see what they say.

Ask a Question