upgrade chip in old Roland

Reaction score
I've joined this forum because I am learning to play piano and have bought a friend's old Roland RD300S. Finding that I much prefer the sound of an acoustic piano, I want to explore the possibility of a chip upgrade for the keyboard. Not at all afraid of the electronics end of things. Mostly interested in information about whether it is possible, if so, whether advisable, cost etc... and if all seems promising if anyone has an opinion (of course someone does... ) as to the best solution.

Thanks,
Cal

Reaction score
A chip upgrade?

I'm not sure I understand what you want...

There is a RD series from roland (I guess you're talking about the RD300SX)
that support some expansion boards... Is that what you're thinking of?

Reaction score
There is indeed a Roland RD300S model, but there's no reference to it on the Roland website. Built ~'92, about 6 mono, uneditable bread and butter presets.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to achieve from your OP, but the chips in keyboards are normally very bespoke components, varying hugely between models, even between those from one manufacturer. They have a highly streamlined architecture which means that any tinkering with any logic components will most likely brick the unit. New chips are certainly not things the manufacturer would provide, let alone things like source code and memory maps that you'd need for a DIY job.

Ask a Question