upgrade need advise on arpeggio features

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade from my psr e333 some keyboards I like have this feature some don't , I looked at a demo video of Yamaha psr443 and other than it generating extra notes as you play so it sounds like you playing more notes than you actually are I unsure of its usefullness , I need advice as to how this feature works when you are playing a song melody I baffled as to how it would work and sound when playing a song melody right hand and chords on left hand

just trying to find out more info on the feature before I decide on my upgrade keyboard I gather some keyboards have a pattern sequencer which I guess works the same way ?

mark

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Before I reply, I should stress that I'm not a music theorist/historian/expert, and for that matter not much of a keyboardist, so I'm relying heavily on information gleaned from the internet in addition to my own (limited) knowledge and experience. In short, the following information may very well contain misinformation or faulty explanations, but I'll certainly try to avoid that. I also hope that other forum members will jump in and correct any bad information that I might inadvertently spew! :)

Technically speaking, I don't think an arpeggiator is quite the same thing as a pattern sequencer or step sequencer-- although the term "sequencer" could be used to describe the mechanism by which arpeggios are generated on synthesizers or electronic keyboards, since an arpeggio is a sequence of notes. The way I see it, it's largely a question of how the sequence is triggered and how it's used. That is, an arpeggio is triggered by playing a note or group of notes, and usually stops when you release the notes, whereas a pattern might be initially triggered by playing a note but then usually continues to repeat or loop even after you release that note. Thus, a pattern is a loop (usually one or more measures long) that keeps playing independently of whatever you're playing, although the musical key that the pattern plays in might be controlled by the key(s) you're pressing in the keyboard's "accompaniment" or "left-hand split" zone; whereas an arpeggio is a shorter pattern that starts and stops in conjunction with whatever notes or chords you're playing, so it might repeat for only a fraction of a measure, or for several measures, depending on how long you hold down the keys-- and since the arpeggio is triggered by pressing a key, it can be retriggered several times in a single measure, in time with the notes you're playing.

Historically speaking, "arpeggio" refers to a playing style or technique in which the notes of a chord are played separately (usually in rapid succession) rather than all at once, like a guitarist strumming a chord (i.e., each string gets played at a slightly different time, depending on how fast the guitarist is strumming them), or like a harpist plucking notes at different times (apparently the word "ARPeggio" is derived from "hARP"). Arpeggios-- also called "arpeggiated chords," "broken chords," or "rolled chords"-- are written as a chord with a squiggly vertical line in front of it, which means to play the lowest note first, then the next-lowest note, etc., in rapid succession with a sort of rolling motion of the hand and fingers. In cases where the composer wants the notes to be played in the opposite direction-- i.e., highest note first, then next-highest note, etc.-- there will be a vertical arrow pointing downward in front of the squiggly line. In either case, the notes are held down to form an actual chord-- i.e., you don't play each note and then release it when each subsequent note is played, rather you play each note one-at-a-time but continue holding it down as each of the other notes are added to the chord.

But there can be variations of this-- e.g., the notes of a "chord" might be written as a series of notes (such as eighth notes) in some order that forms a repeating pattern. In this case you play and release each note separately, rather than continuing to hold them down as each new note is added.

"Arpeggios" on the Yamaha PSR-E443 are more similar to the second type, because when you hold down one or more keys (while the Arpeggio feature is turned on) it causes the keyboard to play a short sequence or pattern of notes as though you were playing a series of individual notes. The Arpeggio type determines what kind of pattern is played while you're holding down the note(s). For example, some Arpeggio types may play a repetitive sequence of ascending or descending notes in a certain musical key even if you're holding down just one key, whereas other Arpeggio types may vary the pattern and musical key depending on which combination of multiple keys you're holding down. The PSR-E443's Arpeggio types are categorized according to specific voice types that they're recommended for, such as "piano" arps, "guitar" arps, "clavi" arps, "bass" arps, "synth" arps, "percussion" arps, and so forth-- but you can certainly use a "percussion" arp with an organ voice, or use a "synth" arp with a guitar voice, etc.

I've been out of town and haven't had access to my keyboards, but now that I'm back I'll try to record and post some examples of what the PSR-E443's arpeggios sound like.

Edit: On the PSR-E443, the "step sequencer" is more akin to the auto accompaniment "Styles" and "DJ Patterns," which repeat patterns of notes and percussion rhythms that change musical keys according to the notes you play in the "accompaniment" zone of the keyboard. One important point to make is that the PSR-E443 doesn't let you create your own Arpeggios, Styles, or Patterns on the keyboard, as more expensive arranger keyboards, workstation keyboards, and synths do-- rather, you're limited to the built-in Arpeggios and Patterns, although you can load and use external Styles. Of course, if you're using the PSR-E443 with external software (such as a DAW) then you can potentially create arpeggios and patterns externally and play them back through the keyboard.

Edit #2: Note that there are VST plug-ins and other sequencer software that let you create arpeggios and pattern loops, even if your keyboard doesn't have an arpeggio feature. Thus, if you buy a keyboard that doesn't have an arpeggio feature per se, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't play arpeggio patterns on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok thanks again for your reply very helpful information , one of the things I would like to know is whether or not you can split the arpeggio feature ? looking at the manual on line it seems to suggest you can ? if you could investigate that for me while you are playing on the e443 I would be grateful.
My thinking is I could have it switched on the left hand with the chords and play melody on the right.

I am leaning more towards the e443 now for my purchase even though I do like the roland , one of the things I would like to do next spring summer is go busking in my local town and knock out a few tunes they are very relaxed about busking and positively encourage it.

And I feel the features on the Yamaha would give me a bit more help in that situation

thanks again mark

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, if you turn on the split feature to activate the split voice while the arpeggio feature is turned on, the arpeggio will be applied to the split (left-hand) voice rather than to the main/dual (right-hand) voices.

Edit: I do recommend trying out any keyboard you're interested in at a music store before making up your mind, as being able to actually test the various features you're interested in will help you determine whether the keyboard will live up to your expectations after you've spent your money and brought it home.

The Y_man

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade from my psr e333 some keyboards I like have this feature some don't , I looked at a demo video of Yamaha psr443 and other than it generating extra notes as you play so it sounds like you playing more notes than you actually are I unsure of its usefullness , I need advice as to how this feature works when you are playing a song melody I baffled as to how it would work and sound when playing a song melody right hand and chords on left hand

just trying to find out more info on the feature before I decide on my upgrade keyboard I gather some keyboards have a pattern sequencer which I guess works the same way ?

mark

Mark,

I think you might be talking about the auto-harmonizer.

You can select several modes, and it picks notes based on the chords you are playing with your left hand.

Let's say you are playing a C major chord on the left hand and the note E on your right hand,

The harmonizer can (depending on the mode) automamitcally also play:
1. the C below the E you are playing (Duet variation 1)
2. the G below the C you are playing (Duet variaiton 2)
3. both C and G below (closed 3 way chord)
4. C,G, and E below (closed 4 way chord)

etc.

Crappy players like me use it all the time!!

The Y-man

Reaction score
thanks for reply , to be honest Y man I don't think I know what I am talking about most of the time :cool: I think it was the arpeggio feature I think not sure where the harmoniser is on the psr e443 ? still haven't fully decided on my upgrade yet

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The PSR-E443 has both a Harmony feature and an Arpeggio feature. You can use one or the other (or neither), but not both at the same time. There are different types of harmonies, and some are a bit similar to arpeggios. The "Data List" document has a list of the available harmony types (and arpeggio types, voices, styles, etc.).

Ask a Question