Using one controller to drive multiple modules

Reaction score
Hello

I am not sure if this question has been asked here before but here it goes.

I need a midi splitter or a router that can take the signal from one midi controller/keyboard and divide it up to multiple keyboard modules. The splitter/router would preferably be a rack unit where I can choose which module is receiving the signal via switches or a footswitch.

Has anyone seen or used a solution like this and where can I find one?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cheapest solution is to use a computer to do this.

Here's how I have my routing set up.

flowchart_MIDI_USB_routing.jpg

I use either the open source routing program Catia under Linux or my DAW software to handle all the routing when I'm working.

Next best soultion, if there's not too many modules in the loop is to set up a MIDI Loop with each module daisy chained from the controller's out to the module's IN port and so on. Assign a different channel to each module controlled by the controller.

Two major problems with this though. Your modules may not have MIDI OUT or THRU ports thus ending the chain prematurely and secondly there may be noticeable lag as the serial loop grows in size.

Third solution (and most expensive) is to buy a dedicated hardware MIDI router. They are ancient technology but they are still being made and sold. If your modules or controller have USB only ports on them though, they won't work with one of these.

http://hinton-instruments.co.uk/pmprod/routing/index.htm

Like I said, quickest and easiest solution is to use a computer and a multi port MIDI interface to get the job done without serious lag.

Hope this helps,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for that Gary. I'll take a look into the computer solution. I was thinking about getting a hardware MIDI router but I'll see what'll happen. Right now I'm only running 1-2 midi modules so it's not a problem yet but with the rig I'm envisioning, some kind of a router will need to be included

Reaction score
Gary - Please accept my apologies if I ask you for your advice on a similar project ??!!!
I want to replace my heavy RD170 stage piano, TYROS 2 workstation, and Hammond XK2 organ with 2 x MIDI controller keyboards ( very lightweight keyboard types preferred !) and already have ROLAND JV1080 2U rack module and a ROLAND JV1010 half-width module also. I have an E-MU 2000 for leqad synth voices etc but haven't used it for years ! Any suggested 73 or 76 or even 88 note MIDI keyboard controllers you would recommend please? Phil J aka WELSHKEYS57

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Offhand I'd recommend Akai, Studiologic or Novation higher end controllers. however I am currently without proper internet so I can only make unresearched recommendations. Also would suggest Roland controllers.

However, these are all pretty heavy controllers.

For lightest weight and decent action would suggest Casio Privia PX-5S. Weighs only 25 lbs plus it serves double duty as a stage piano and a decent synth. It would do nicely as a 4 zone controller while expanding your sound palette as a bonus.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question