Using TWO sk-1's together

Reaction score
Hello!

I have recently purchased an SK-1 and I'm wondering if another SK-1 can be used for the lower manual?

Maybe a dumb question?

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm sure a second SK-1 can be used for a lower manual, at least if you run it independently. However I think a cheaper solution would be to run a second board through MIDI and control it from the SK-1. If I remember correctly that is an option on that board.

Reaction score
Hello!

I have recently purchased an SK-1 and I'm wondering if another SK-1 can be used for the lower manual?

Maybe a dumb question?

Thanks
Why a 2nd SK1? What are you trying to accomplish? Why not use a cheaper 2nd MIDI keyboard to accomplish the task? If it is because you need a 2nd set of drawbars as well, purchase a MIDI drawbar unit like a Voce which pop up from time to time on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOCE-MIDI-D...9972749?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item1c4531c08d

The Voce sends drawbar data on CC# 12-20 and the SK1 receives MIDI drawbar data on CC# 12-20; so it is essentially plug and play. So you could buy a 2nd midi 61 keyboard for the lower keyboard, Midi that out and into the Voce MIDI drawbars in, then out of the MIDI drawbars to the SK1 MIDI in.

http://global.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers/impulse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novation-Im...4554372?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item20ef593504

So for less than half the cost you can have a double manual with dual independent drawbar control (even better than an SK2 which only offers one set of drawbars for both manuals). If dual independent drawbars are not your issue, forgo the Voce unit and just purchase the 2nd keyboard, using the SK1's drawbars to control the SK1 and lower keyboard's drawbars. This option would only cost you a 1/4 of purchasing a 2nd SK1.

I use an XM2 (XK1 in a Midi rack) with the XM2c controller. My 2nd keyboard is a Kurzweil PC3 with 9 sliders which control the lower manual drawbars; so I use a midi keyboard as the top organ manual and the XM2c's drawbars to control the upper drawbars, I also MIDI the PC3 for the lower manual and use either the 9 sliders on the PC3 to control the lower drawbars or my Voce Midi drawbar unit to control the lower drawbars. If it is an organ centric gig I will use the MIDI drawbars, if it is not organ centric I just use the 9 sliders on the PC3; it depends on my "mood" the day of the gig .....

I also use a Neo Ventilator for the leslie sim; the above combination with the Vent really gives me the vibe; I don't feel compromised at all....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

I guess I have much to learn.

I could just use my Korg Kross, hooked up via MIDI? Would that allow me to utilize the percusion on the Kross? Or would it just be a lower manual, playing SK-1 tones?

Please excuse the dumb questions.

Reaction score
How would I for instance, lay down a nice drum and bass line with the Kross, and play organ with the SK-1?

Would it be easier to use a mixer, and just use both keyboards? Or can I do that using MIDI?

I am new to this stuff, and I am re learning how to play after not playing for 30 years.

Thanks

Reaction score
Would that allow me to utilize the percusion on the Kross? Or would it just be a lower manual, playing SK-1 tones?
On a real Hammond (as well as the SK1) percussion can only be triggered from the top manual. If your Korg Kross will be acting as the lower manual through MIDI, then no you cannot trigger percussion from the lower manual. As an FYI you also cannot trigger percussion from an SK2 on its lower manual since it emulates the B3 faithfully. This would be one advantage of having two SK1's. Is having percussion available on both manuals a warrant of the additional cost of a 2nd SK1?

How would I for instance, lay down a nice drum and bass line with the Kross, and play organ with the SK-1? Would it be easier to use a mixer, and just use both keyboards? Or can I do that using MIDI?
Since you mentioned that you are "new to this stuff" then I'd say yes, trigger the drums and bass from the Kross and play organ from the SK1. This is the simplist setup for now. As you become more educated in how stuff works then you can later expand your thinking. To get grounded on how MIDI works and how you might use it to its fullest potential, I'd start here:

http://tweakheadz.com/how-to-get-st...oncepts-for-building-a-home-recording-studio/

Reaction score
I'm thinking of also getting an analog synth. What mixer would be good for hooking up my Hammond, my Korg, and the synth so I can play through my stereo amp, and out to my speakers.? Just for playing, and not necessarily connecting to my MacBook Pro. I would like to just be able to play all three keyboards the same time.

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX to connect 3 keyboards, a module and a drum machine and a couple of mics in my home studio.

It's a 12 channel mixer with 100 built in effects.

Very nice and can be had for around $100 USD.

I'd advise going for the extra channels right off the bat since it leaves room to grow.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-1202FX-BEHRINGER-XENYX/dp/B000J5Y214

Gary

Reaction score
What mixer would be good for hooking up my Hammond, my Korg, and the synth so I can play through my stereo amp, and out to my speakers.?

Any line mixer will do the trick, provided it has sufficient channels. The one Gary suggested would work fine.

I use an Alesis Multimix 8 Line for gigging, and carry a Behringer Xenyx QX1002 as a cheap and cheerful backup in case the Alesis goes down (which it never has). The other guys on here no doubt use all sorts of different ones, it's really a matter of personal preference, and what features you're looking for.

My best advice is to type "line mixer" into Google and do a bit of research, you'll soon get to know which features you do/don't want to pay for.

Cheers,

Paul

Reaction score
Just a comment about the SK-1......WOW, what great organ tones. I'm glad I decided to get a "real" Hammond.

Ask a Question