VR-09 split patches..

Reaction score
Is there any way at all to apply sustain to the left hand voice on a split patch on the VR-09? Please don't post reasons why I shouldn't want to sustain this voice, as I want to and that is somewhat of a dealbreaker for me purchasing this board (which I really want). If there are no programmable parameters for this, would any of you know if I can build layer patches that can fade from a left voice into right to achieve the same effect? I really hope it is possible..its the only thing keeping me from buying this board for gig use!
Thanks

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on exactly what it is you're trying to achieve?

For example:
  • Do you mean sustaining the patch on the left side of the keyboard while not sustaining the patch on the right side?
  • By "sustain", do you mean EG sustain or do you mean "sustain pedal" sustain?
  • What is the outcome you are after - what sort of sound are you trying to achieve and why?
This should help you get a more useful and relevant response to your query.

Reaction score
My query is really no more complicated than stated. I wish to apply Sustain Pedal control to BOTH voices of a split patch on this particular board. I contacted Roland support and they indicated this could not be done, which I think is incredibly limited in design. Most of my much older and less capable boards will allow you to at least define whether or not the left voice responds to sustain pedal messages.
I was hoping a vr09 user might know of a trick around this, like maybe programming zoned layers to emulate a split and retain the sustain response across the board? Possible?

Reaction score
Good one cowboy :) I've been so dang busy lately I haven't been on the forum much - I saw this post the other day and would have responded, but I was sitting in my car eating fast food :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys..finally had time to stop by Smash and try it out. When they first came out a few years back, sustain was not active on the left voice. I contacted the mothership and they said that's how it worked..no workaround. Now it seems there is a newer sw revision with the re-released boards, and it is indeed enabled now..I'm a happy camper. The only thing I couldn't make work now is pitchbend on the left voice, but I suspect that is programmable in the iPad app. Which again goes to back to sucking eggs, as I'm not a fan of apple and won't be buying an iPad just to support a new keyboard. Oh well, if its not one thing its another...

Ask a Question