W30 floppydisc failure??

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a problem with my newly bought Roland W30. When I turn it on the display is only showing

"Roland W30"

In the middle of the display but the "Please Insert System Disc" is missing and the floppydisc seems dead.

Can somebody please help me? Is this a known problem? Solvable?

Regards Hans

Reaction score
I used to own a Roland W-30. I liked it a lot at the time, but these days you couldn't pay me to own one. Stuffing around with 3.5" floppy discs? No thanks. I think it would make a good boat anchor, though.

In 1993 my car was stolen with the Roland in the boot (trunk), and although I recovered the vehicle, my trusty W-30 was nowhere to be found. In a fit of incendiary jealous rage I placed a curse on all W-30 owners worldwide, which I expect is the cause of your issue. In later years I have come to regret my youthful actions, but such is the foolishness of the young and passionate.

To lift the curse, take your W-30 to a technician, who may be able to fix the disc drive.

As a suggestion, you may wish to take a leaf out of my book and place a curse on the person who sold you a 27-year old keyboard that doesn't work.

Reaction score
I really, really, really, don't care what happened to you!!!!
I payed 5 bucks for it and although it's 27-years old it is still working! That can't be said for all the 27-year old equipment............

I'm really sorry for your loss butd it seems to me that you never got over it!!

Thanks for not helping me!

Reaction score
I really, really, really, don't care what happened to you!!!!
You see, that's the problem. There's just not enough caring for one's fellow humans in the world these days.

I payed 5 bucks for it and although it's 27-years old it is still working!
If you can get this keyboard to "work" without the disc drive and system disc operational, then you possess a command of the black arts far beyond mine. You should be able to lift the W-30 curse without difficulty.

Thanks for not helping me!
At risk or repeating myself, "take your W-30 to a technician..."*

*Disclaimer: This may cost you more than "5 bucks". Who knew a $5 keyboard might have issues?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cowboy pretty much shared his experiences with that keyboard and gave you good advice.

One of the signatures of Roland products is that they tend to place EVERYTHING that makes the keyboard work into battery backed non volatile RAM.

What this boils down to is that everytime you perform a factory reset or an internal battery dies, you either have to reinitialize with a FACTORY disk or from a previously made backup which (oddly enough) nobody ever seems to do.

(Apparently Roland never got the memo about the capabilties of non volatile ROM or EEPROMS)

So you MIGHT be able to order a factory disk from Roland and maybe able to replace the internal battery and maybe if the sun is eclipsed by a blood moon, you might have a working keyboard.

As far as I know though, Roland's canned response will be "send it to factory authorized repair for all the money in your kid's college fund" and they will send you a repaired and working unit.

Insulting Cowboy's response and pissing on people who are genuinely trying to help you accomplishes nothing.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question