What speakers for keyboard?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a stage piano and am just learning to play. I am curious if anyone can recommend what speakers would be a good choice to purchase for in home use.

Ideally I would like some portability which would leave me with a keyboard amp, however I heard the sound from them really isn't accurate. I would like it to sound as best as possible with a budget of $400 or less on the speakers.

Any suggestions? My keyboard does not have balanced 1/4" inputs on the back and dont want to necessarily spring for a mixing board.

Reaction score
If you have AUX out or even HEADPHONES out connected to a good pair of powered speakers that will do the job fine for home use.
I have my keyboards via a small mixer hooked to the the Home-Cinema system. GREAT surround sound.

Reaction score
What kind of output jacks do you have on your keyboard?

I know a professional keyboard player that uses a Kustom KPC10MP, 50 watt powered speaker. I think she gets a good sound from it and her Yahama keyboard. Costs about $ 100 new. It has both 1/4 inch and XML jacks. It is powerful enough to play weddings and parties of 100 people.

A little mixer is a handy thing to have. They might cost about USA $ 50, you can plug a couple microphones in there, couple instruments, output to an amplifier, jam with friends.

I plug my keyboard into a little guitar amplifier sometimes. It works OK.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Natural, as the posters above alluded to - unless your unit has output for speakers, you'll get a very soft (volumewise) sound from them.....

The Y-man

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a stage piano and am just learning to play. I am curious if anyone can recommend what speakers would be a good choice to purchase for in home use.

Ideally I would like some portability which would leave me with a keyboard amp, however I heard the sound from them really isn't accurate. I would like it to sound as best as possible with a budget of $400 or less on the speakers.

Any suggestions? My keyboard does not have balanced 1/4" inputs on the back and dont want to necessarily spring for a mixing board.

Keyboards are very hard to represent accurately. You might want to invest in PA speakers instead of a "keyboard amp".

Reaction score
Theres a deal going now at Pro Sound and Stage Lighting: GSR 10's / 12's for $99/$150. These are normally $400 pa speakers- you could get two for stereo, the 10" is pretty small, it would be portable if need be, pretty decent sound.

If you wanted higher quality, the best closeout price is for the RCF 310a or 312a for $400-$450 each, same size of speakers- these are comparable to $600-$800 speakers used for live bands.

Some folks buy studio monitors so that they a reasonably accurate speaker for mixdowns, which of course does double duty as keyboard monitors. The advantage here is good quality stereo in a small package, which makes it easier to find good stereo positioning, and you can definetly find, used or new, decent offerings for under $400. Beware of getting 8"ers though- in smaller rooms the extra bass can be too much- the 6" models make it possible to get reasonable bass, not overpower the room, and use as near fields.

Reaction score
If it's just for Home use, then a pair of speakers sold for Computers will do the job fine. The more you spend (generally) the better they will sound, but because so many computer speakers are sold compared to "music" speakers, they are on the whole much better value for money. Bose Companion 3 for example.

If you intend to play in public, you'll need something bigger and louder (and more expensive). QSC have a great range of powered speakers - check out the K10 in particular,

Ask a Question