what to buy and how many keys... ooo boy

Reaction score
first of im new here so hello. after some years of not play keyboard i want to get back to it.(been playing drums)
and want to get into home recording but i am stuck on what board to get and 61 or 88 key.

im looking at the kord kross and the roland juno ds in both 61 synth action and 88 piano action keys but im so not sure both are the same price 699 and 999 respectively . my max budget is 1000 bucks just not sure what to do. any thoughts would be great. thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with either of those, so I'll let other people weigh in on them. But as far as 61 keys versus 88 keys, I think it comes down to four considerations:

(1) Do you have the space to accommodate a wider 88-key instrument?

(2) Can your budget handle the difference in price between a 61-key and an 88-key instrument?

(3) Do you need an 88-key instrument for playing the sort of music you plan on using it for? (Piano music is often composed with the expectation that it will be performed on an 88-key instrument, so 61 keys might not be suitable if you're primarily into piano music.)

(4) Do you prefer the shape and feel (i.e., responsiveness) of piano-style or synth-style keys? You can get weighted or semi-weighted piano-style keys on a 61-key instrument, whereas 88-key instruments don't usually come in synth-style keys.

Personally, if I didn't have any problems with space and budget, I'd go for an 88-key instrument, on the grounds that it's better to have more keys than you usually need, for the occasions when you do need the extra keys. You can certainly make do with fewer keys-- especially if you're using the instrument for recording rather than performing live, such that you can record the left-hand and right-hand parts separately if need be-- but it's a lot more convenient to be able to play all along the full range of piano keys without having to do octave shifting.

Not to muddy the waters further, but as a possible alternative you may also want to consider a 76-key instrument, assuming the brands and models you're looking at also come in 76-key versions.

Reaction score
well space is no prob and well its at the top of he mark 88 keys could be had. so the kross or the juno ds is what its coming down to

Reaction score
One more consideration is weight. Are you intending the keyboard to be portable? If so, an 88-key weighted hammer action keyboard will weigh significantly more than a 61 key synth-action 'board.

The Korg Kross is generally considered a pretty nice keyboard for the money. It's an entry-level workstation that has a big sound bank and an on-board sequencer. I am not a fan of the action, and I'm not alone. The 88-weighted version feels heavy and unresponsive to my touch, and the synth-action 61 gives a sort of "squidgy" feel. But these things are a matter of personal taste, and therefore I suggest you have a play on one in a shop if you can to see how it feels to you. Here's a review you can read:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/korg-kross-reviewed/47944

I'm completely unfamiliar with the Juno-DS as it hasn't hit my local music shop yet. I have the older Juno-Gi (61 version) which I really like. Some of the synth sounds on it are really quite incredible and it's very editable, with a nice snappy and responsive synth key action. It's set up with live performance in mind and is a bucket load of fun to play. I can only assume the DS will be an improvement given it's much newer. Couldn't find any reviews, it's a bit new.

I always recommend you try and have a play with both in a shop if you can. Nothing beats trying a keyboard out for yourself, and some of us get along with quite different keyboards to others.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
weight is an issue. the juno is very new just came out last month. and your right theres not much out there to look up about it other that roland really bad music videos
my other keyboard is 20 plues years old and is really showing her age (roland E 500) but the more i look around and i did get to play both the korg is looking good

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While you're at it take a look at the Casio Privia PX-5S.

Great piano action and sounds, full synth capabilities, extremely lightweight and just under your budget.

Just sayin...

Gary ;)

Ask a Question