What to buy...

Reaction score
Ok, so I used to play the piano for years growing up at me mums, and could usually read sheet music and play at the same time, an ten bought a guitar.

I used my guitar ever since, have moved out, had kids ect...

I recently bought a boss rc 300 loop station, an have Got fairly good at beat boxing, I now wish to combine my talents and start putting some songs together.

I want a keyboard...or a synth... I dunno, I was looking at a really nice 25 key thing, with a drum pad on, fantastic! However it turns out it's a midi controller. Which means nothing to me, an I don't really wanna PC or laptop in my rig

Is there a 25key keyboard that has a standard stereo 1/4 inch jack out? Space saving is key.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here ya go. Korg Just released the Triton Taktile 25.

Made to order for exactly what you're looking for.

I wouldn't mind picking one up myself sometime in the near future.

Personally though, I'd opt for the 49 key version. There's honestly not a hell of a lot you can accomplish with 25 keys.

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-TAKTILE-TR25-TRITON-taktile-25/dp/B00I60BYEW

Don't confuse it with the plain Taktile 25 which doesn't have the Triton soundset built in.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I want one. I don't need one though is the problem. One more thing to set up at a gig. $350.00 seems pretty cheap for what you're getting. I should hold off; Christmas is costing me enough as it is :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Then again you could've waited til boxing day like I plan to do here in Sunny Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Anyway, enjoy your purchase in good health :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if anyone does see any Black Friday Deals on either the 25 or the 49 key version next week be sure and post it here.

I'm not above the thought of doing a little cross border shopping for the Triton Taktile if I can pick one up for a stupidly great price :D :D :D

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Black Fridays not a thing in the uk mate, plus it's on it's way already hehe

Do tell us how you like it after you've had a chance to play with it a while, as it appears a number of us (myself included) are now interested in it-- although I think I'd prefer the 49-key version myself, since they don't make a 61-key version! :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually all I'm interested in is the Triton Soundset, so I think I'll end up with the 25 key version and hook it up to my Kurzweil as a module.

From what I can tell it should have identical sounds as my old Korg TR76 which I have come to miss since I sold it last year.

For the $350 price tag it's about equal to a used Korg TR Rack on ebay but brand new with a full warranty.

No brainer.

BTW, I've seen the Triton Taktile 25 selling new for $299 on Ebay, but they gouge so much on shipping to Canada it renders the deals mediocre at best.

So my best bet is to stay alert for deals on either this Black Friday or else on Boxing Day.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Musical Supply Direct has a used 25-key Triton Taktile for $309.99 with free shipping.

You can also get one new for $267.55-- but it's from Japan and the shipping is $77.46.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Actually all I'm interested in is the Triton Soundset, so I think I'll end up with the 25 key version and hook it up to my Kurzweil as a module.

I'm reading a review right now that says it has only one MIDI port-- MIDI OUT. I don't know if that's true, but if it is then you'll need to rethink controlling it with your Kurzweil.

Edit: Well, based on this picture, it does have just the one MIDI port-- but it also has a USB-to-host port, so I guess it can be controlled by another keyboard using a computer as a go-between.

Attachments

• KorgTritonTaktile25.png
    KorgTritonTaktile25.png
    444.4 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First off, US "Free Shipping" deals do not usually translate across the US border. What Americans get for free, we Canadians usually end up paying an extra testicle for :p

Secondly I am aware of the port limitations of the Taktile series and typically do use a computer in my home studio production so again, tain't no bit thang... ;)

Gary

A

Anon_TJ

So it finally came up on sale yesterday, $349 for the 49 key version.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025341-REG/korg_trtaktile49_triton_taktile_49_key_usb.html

I ordered one up yesterday and it should be here by Monday.

This is your best chance to pick one up for cheap with full warranty Michael.

Gary ;)
Hi Gary,

I'm thinking about getting the 49 key version, although I would really prefer a 61 key version if they had one. The idea of built-in bread and butter sounds of this quality on a primarily midi keyboard really appeals to me. Sometimes you don't want to fire up the PC every time you want to doodle on the keyboard.

Anyway, what are your impressions? I've read the reviews and most are positive. How does the keybed feel? That's important to me. Do the faders/knobs feel solid? One review said the sounds are dated, but some classic sounds like the Triton's are really never outdated. I see you also get a pretty decent software bundle with the keyboard. I do wish there was a Midi-in port so I could use a full size keyboard to control it and overcome the 49 key limitation. Gotta take the bad with the good.

Many thanks,

Tim

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

DON'T buy the Triton Taktile! I ended up selling mine a couple of weeks after I got it.

The voice engine is extremely primitive and it has no multitimbral capabilities whatsoever! This makes it absolutely useless for any sort of MIDI sequencing.

If you want the Triton voiceset on a budget then I recommend buying a Korg X50 either used or on clearance for about $400. That's what I replaced the Taktile with and I'm very happy with it.

Be warned the keybed on the X50 is very cheap and plasticky, but I use my Kurzweil as a controller for all my synths and modules so for me it's not really a dealbreaker.

Anyway, my advice is to steer clear of the Taktile line unless your only goal is to tap out tunes live or use it as a primary controller with softsynths. As a synth module however, it blows chunks.

Gary ;)

A

Anon_TJ

Hi Gary,

I'm thinking about getting the 49 key version, although I would really prefer a 61 key version if they had one. The idea of built-in bread and butter sounds of this quality on a primarily midi keyboard really appeals to me. Sometimes you don't want to fire up the PC every time you want to doodle on the keyboard.

Anyway, what are your impressions? I've read the reviews and most are positive. How does the keybed feel? That's important to me. Do the faders/knobs feel solid? One review said the sounds are dated, but some classic sounds like the Triton's are really never outdated. I see you also get a pretty decent software bundle with the keyboard. I do wish there was a Midi-in port so I could use a full size keyboard to control it and overcome the 49 key limitation. Gotta take the bad with the good.

Many thanks,

Tim
Thanks for the heads up Gary. I was really leaning towards a 61 key controller anyway, that's what I'm accustomed to and would find myself running out of keys on anything smaller. I have an old creaky M-Audio Oxygen 61 (awful keybed) and am looking to upgrade to one of three models: Novation 61 SL MK II (473 Euros), Roland A-800PRO-R (299 Euros) or the Novation Launchkey 61 MK2. I think they are all pretty good. Geez, for the price of the Novation SL MK II I could buy the Korg M-20 mini and have my first real synthesizer, but the mini-keys are a put off, and having to re-program it for each patch would be a pain, but I hear the sounds are great, but build quality is lacking. Too many choices and not enough money:( Sounds like you have a ton of experience with lots of different keyboards.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I used to own an Oxygen 49. Agreed, the keybed on that is shite. When it died on me I replaced it with an Alesis QX49.

They can be had for about $100 plus tax and the keybed is actually semi weighted and not too shabby.

Then again I find it does have a very deep throw on each keypress and if you're flying across the keys it does have a tendency to lose a note or two unless you bottom out each keypress.

Since it's not my main composition rig I can live with it.

Anyway, if you're considering a full synth as a controller don't sell craigslist and ebay short. Some amazingly fine professional synths can be had for a fraction of original cost if you are willing to shop around used.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question