WK7500 vs WK7600

Reaction score
I currently own a Casio WK7500. For the most part I'm quite happy with it. But I'm considering upgrading to the WK7600. My question is: Is it worth it? Or is the difference so minimal that I should stick with the WK7500?

Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The WK-7600 has 20 more tones and 10 more rhythms than the WK-7500, but I can't tell you what the new ones are as I haven't done a comparison.

In my opinion the biggest difference-- besides the additional tones and rhythms-- is that on the WK-7500 you can set each drawbar organ slider to one of four levels (0 through 3), whereas on the WK-7600 you can now set each drawbar organ slider to one of nine levels (0 through 8) as on an actual drawbar organ. Thus, the WK-7500 can play 262,144 (4^9) different variations of each drawbar organ tone, whereas the WK-7600 can play 387,420,489 (9^9) different variations of each drawbar organ tone.

So if the drawbar organ feature is very important to you and you want to be able to edit those tones to match registrations you've found online without having to convert them from a nine-level scale to a four-level scale, then it might be worth the upgrade-- especially if you can get a good price for your used WK-7500.

But if the drawbar organ feature isn't that important to you, and you also don't care so much about the 20 new tones and the 10 new rhythms, then you might want to stick with your WK-7500.

Personally, I'd definitely go for the WK-7600 if I didn't already own the WK-7500. But if I already owned the WK-7500 then I'm not sure whether I'd upgrade-- I probably would, but maybe not.

It's nice to have the latest and greatest if possible, but sometimes the difference between the previous model and the newest model isn't enough to justify upgrading; it might be better to wait until the next model (WK-7700?) comes out, since it should have even more differences from the WK-7500. You just need to decide for yourself if you can afford to upgrade now and whether the differences between the models are important enough to you to justify upgrading.

One thing to consider is that if you're planning to sell your older model when upgrading to a newer model, then the age of your used model may affect how much you can expect to get for it-- so upgrading sooner rather than later might be good on that account.

However, with regard to the extra tones, rhythms, and drawbar settings, you might want to consider whether they're different enough from the ones you already have, or whether their differences are so subtle that you can barely tell them apart.

For instance, supposing there were two new piano tones, do they sound almost the same as two existing piano tones, or noticeably different?

As for the additional levels for the drawbar organ sliders, the difference from one level to the other becomes more subtle the more levels there are. In other words, it's like a ruler that has only inches marked on it versus a ruler that has eighths of an inch marked on it. You can measure more accurately with the second ruler, but the difference between 3/8" and 4/8" is a lot more subtle than the difference between 3" and 4". So just as you might not be able to see much difference between 3/8" and 4/8" with your naked eye, you might not be able to hear much difference between settings of 5/8 and 6/8 with your naked ear.

Reaction score
The WK-7600 has 20 more tones and 10 more rhythms than the WK-7500, but I can't tell you what the new ones are as I haven't done a comparison.

In my opinion the biggest difference-- besides the additional tones and rhythms-- is that on the WK-7500 you can set each drawbar organ slider to one of four levels (0 through 3), whereas on the WK-7600 you can now set each drawbar organ slider to one of nine levels (0 through 8) as on an actual drawbar organ. Thus, the WK-7500 can play 262,144 (4^9) different variations of each drawbar organ tone, whereas the WK-7600 can play 387,420,489 (9^9) different variations of each drawbar organ tone.

So if the drawbar organ feature is very important to you and you want to be able to edit those tones to match registrations you've found online without having to convert them from a nine-level scale to a four-level scale, then it might be worth the upgrade-- especially if you can get a good price for your used WK-7500.

But if the drawbar organ feature isn't that important to you, and you also don't care so much about the 20 new tones and the 10 new rhythms, then you might want to stick with your WK-7500.

Personally, I'd definitely go for the WK-7600 if I didn't already own the WK-7500. But if I already owned the WK-7500 then I'm not sure whether I'd upgrade-- I probably would, but maybe not.

It's nice to have the latest and greatest if possible, but sometimes the difference between the previous model and the newest model isn't enough to justify upgrading; it might be better to wait until the next model (WK-7700?) comes out, since it should have even more differences from the WK-7500. You just need to decide for yourself if you can afford to upgrade now and whether the differences between the models are important enough to you to justify upgrading.

One thing to consider is that if you're planning to sell your older model when upgrading to a newer model, then the age of your used model may affect how much you can expect to get for it-- so upgrading sooner rather than later might be good on that account.

However, with regard to the extra tones, rhythms, and drawbar settings, you might want to consider whether they're different enough from the ones you already have, or whether their differences are so subtle that you can barely tell them apart.

For instance, supposing there were two new piano tones, do they sound almost the same as two existing piano tones, or noticeably different?

As for the additional levels for the drawbar organ sliders, the difference from one level to the other becomes more subtle the more levels there are. In other words, it's like a ruler that has only inches marked on it versus a ruler that has eighths of an inch marked on it. You can measure more accurately with the second ruler, but the difference between 3/8" and 4/8" is a lot more subtle than the difference between 3" and 4". So just as you might not be able to see much difference between 3/8" and 4/8" with your naked eye, you might not be able to hear much difference between settings of 5/8 and 6/8 with your naked ear.
my takeis i just bought a wk7600 to months ago so far am happy with it i did a lot of research before buying this upgrade from the 7500 one ting that was improved up[on or eliminated was thwe noisey keys from the 7500 the 7600 now has very quiet keys. The ony thing is trying to find how to add reverb to the stero piano permentaly still dont no how would like some adive on or step by step process how to set it up read manula but hard t understand for me my mind doenst qwork as good as it once did im 66 yrs old could somebody help me out with this thank you

Reaction score
Hi! I bought the WH-7600 about 8 months ago. I never had the WK-7500. I decided to buy it and the main reason was...the keys aren't making tons of noise ( I have a Wk-1250 that is so bad at this and I had a WK 210 that wasn't much better). Now though, after about 6 months, a few keys have started clicking a bit.
For adding reverb to you stereo piano...choose the stereo piano tone then, press the "function" button and hold it down while pressing the "effect" button. The "reverb" will appears in the window. Use the dial wheel to chose the amount of reverb you want. End by pressing "exit"
Then, press the "bank" button. There are 16 "banks" You use the dial wheel to chose in which bank you want to register your tone.
After choosing your bank , press the "store" button and while holding it down, press one of the numbered button at the right of the "bank" button (each "bank" has 6 areas that are represented by the numbered buttons on the right of the "bank" button).
This whole thing is called "registration". Now, your stereo piano tone with the reverb you chose will be registered there. Pressing the "bank" button, using the dial wheel to go to the bank you chose and then pressing the numbered button for the area you did chose will bring your stereo piano reverb tone up.

Video (not from me) of a Casio WK 7500 vs WK 7600.

Reaction score
I currently own a Casio WK7500. For the most part I'm quite happy with it. But I'm considering upgrading to the WK7600. My question is: Is it worth it? Or is the difference so minimal that I should stick with the WK7500?

Thanks!

Well...this post is quite old and you've probably moved on...but just in case you revisit your thread...may I ask why you even considered the WK-series?That is to say,you have quite an impressive list of expensive stage pianos,so it seems that money is not an issue for you?
Since all of your other keyboards are performance ones,I'm guessing that you wanted the WK-7500 for it's workstation functions?If so...why had you not considered the Roland FA-series?If you still want to upgrade and save some green in the process,the Casio PX-560 may just be the ideal keyboard for what you want.
At least to me,it's much more sensible...to upgrade to something like the PX-560(as there's no question or contemplation,as to which keyboard is better.)In fact...the PX-560,is essentially the PX-5S,but with workstation abilities,a 5.3" color touch screen,some different presets and built in speakers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've seen a few of your recent posts Elwood, praising the PX-560M and to be honest, between the PX-5S and the 560, the PX-5S has better workstation and synth capabilities.

I also studied the 560 when it was first announced, and it lacks the flexibility of zone configuration that the 5S has as a controller. It's also not the same engine either. Saved performances on the 5S will not be transferable to the 560. I believe the Hex Modes are also not available or extremely limited on the 560. The 5S also has more arpeggiators and phrase sequencing.

As far as the onboard sequencer goes, who in the 21st century is still recording on a keyboard sequencer? Computer solutions are simply so much easier and better than anything you could find on a 5 inch screen.

Even Casio considers the PX-5S to be a more professional product, with the PX-560M aimed at the home enthusiast market. That's why it comes with built in speakers.

Right now I'm considering selling off my PC3K8 in favour of a PX-5S for these reasons. While the Kurzweil is indeed a powerful and amazing instrument, I find it's loaded with features I'll probably never use and having that much money invested in a keyboard just sort of makes me nervous ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well...this post is quite old and you've probably moved on...but just in case you revisit your thread...may I ask why you even considered the WK-series?That is to say,you have quite an impressive list of expensive stage pianos,so it seems that money is not an issue for you?
Since all of your other keyboards are performance ones,I'm guessing that you wanted the WK-7500 for it's workstation functions?If so...why had you not considered the Roland FA-series?If you still want to upgrade and save some green in the process,the Casio PX-560 may just be the ideal keyboard for what you want.
At least to me,it's much more sensible...to upgrade to something like the PX-560(as there's no question or contemplation,as to which keyboard is better.)In fact...the PX-560,is essentially the PX-5S,but with workstation abilities,a 5.3" color touch screen,some different presets and built in speakers.

I use my Casio WK7500 and the PX5S at my rehearsal space. I love my Roland keyboards and did consider the FA series. However, after much research and endless hours of watching YouTube demos, I decided to get a Yamaha CP4. I love it! I use that along with my Roland VR-09 for my live rig. In fact, I'm thinking of selling off my PX5S and the WK7500 and picking up an old Motif to use for rehearsal.

I have nothing bad to say about Casio. I like their gear and would recommend it to anyone. In fact I'm very intrigued by the XW-P1. I may use that to replace the WK if I sell it. I like the drawbar feature.

Reaction score
I've seen a few of your recent posts Elwood, praising the PX-560M and to be honest, between the PX-5S and the 560, the PX-5S has better workstation and synth capabilities.

I also studied the 560 when it was first announced, and it lacks the flexibility of zone configuration that the 5S has as a controller. It's also not the same engine either. Saved performances on the 5S will not be transferable to the 560. I believe the Hex Modes are also not available or extremely limited on the 560. The 5S also has more arpeggiators and phrase sequencing.

As far as the onboard sequencer goes, who in the 21st century is still recording on a keyboard sequencer? Computer solutions are simply so much easier and better than anything you could find on a 5 inch screen.

Even Casio considers the PX-5S to be a more professional product, with the PX-560M aimed at the home enthusiast market. That's why it comes with built in speakers.

Right now I'm considering selling off my PC3K8 in favour of a PX-5S for these reasons. While the Kurzweil is indeed a powerful and amazing instrument, I find it's loaded with features I'll probably never use and having that much money invested in a keyboard just sort of makes me nervous ;)

Gary ;)

Gary,

At the risk of offending you and inciting an argument(which is not my intention),I must ask you....do you understand the difference between a phrase sequencer and a pattern-based song sequencer?If not...a phrase sequencer merely creates riffs that can be triggered by a single note on a keyboard,whereas with a song sequencer,you can create complete songs,by creating a series of customized bars of music and string them together,by using a copy & paste method.
The PX-560 has a 17 track midi sequencer in it,which is what constitutes a workstation.That said,how is it,that the PX-5S is a better workstation than the PX-560,when in fact,the PX-5S doesn't have a multi-track midi sequencer?

As for the PX-560's synth capabilities,both of these models share the same sound engine(i.e. AIR sound source and Hex layer technology),so how is it that the PX-5S is a superior synth?

Who in the 21st century uses a sequencer,you ask?Which one are you talking about...the phrase sequencer,or a song sequencer?According to you,no one has a reason to use a song sequencer in a hardware keyboard.So...by that rationale,who in the 21st century,would need a phrase sequencer in a hardware keyboard?
Which also begs the question,why did you buy a Kurzweil PC3K8 that has a song sequencer built into it?There are quite a few choices out there in stage pianos,so why would you buy anything you are not going to use fully?

If a song sequencer in a hardware keyboard is such a mystery to you,then allow me to explain.Computers are vulnerable to viruses,their performance can be severely limited by it's RAM and the particular software program being used and then there's the boot up time of a PC(with my PC,from the time I hit the power button and launch my DAW program,it's about 2 minutes.)
Yes...one can buy a monster computer with all of the RAM and processing power you will ever need(but such a computer is damn pricey!)
In the case of the PX-560(which uses flash memory),I will be able to boot up and start making music in 10 seconds.I also won't have to worry about the OS crashing and I can not only transform ideas into songs more quickly,I can supplement my songs on my computer(& save processing power,in the process.)
Sometimes,a musician just wants to take a break from desktop computers and I view the PX-560,as a nice reprieve from PC's and a refreshing alternative to get inspired in a different way.

Of course the PX-5S has it's advantages over the PX-560...in terms of more physical controls,arpeggios and split zones....but in a studio environment,those differences are arbitrary at best(at least for me & what I do with recording.)

Casio does refer to the PX-5S as it's flagship digital piano,but this distinction on paper,does not make the PX-560 a consumer-grade keyboard for the "home enthusiast",as you put it.So then...you honestly think that any keyboard with built-in speakers,is a toy?
So I guess,the Korg PA900 61-key Professional Arranger is a toy as well,because this keyboard also has speakers...right?What about the Yamaha PSR950 Arranger...is this a toy as well?Pretty damn expensive toys,if you ask me.

Yeah...I've been praising the PX-560 in my posts and justifiably so...because it is in fact,a pro grade workstation in every respect(but just because it doesn't suit your every need personally),does not mean it's a "home enthusiast" keyboard.
Is the PX-560 in the same league as the Korg Kronos or the Yamaha MXF?Of course not...but it's far beyond something like the Casio WK-7600(which is what you are implying that the PX-560 is.)

I'm sorry to be the ones to tell you this,but you are terrible at your online research,because you certainly don't give the impression that you've studied the PX-560 very much.It seems to me,you watched a couple of Namm show videos on YT(rather than also studying Casio's product page and downloading the PDF manual and reading that.)

So let me get this straight,you are actually considering selling your $3,500 Kurzweil(in which you will easily lose $1,000 on the sale),to buy a $1,000 Casio(just because you don't use the PC3K's song sequencer?)Really?
Well...it's your choice...I mean...whatever makes you happy...but I just cannot fathom you at all.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into a religious argument about keyboard brands and models here.

I find your tone condescending and insulting and unworthy of this discussion.

Henceforth I'll refrain from responding to anything you may see fit to post.

Gary

Reaction score
I find your tone condescending and insulting and unworthy of this discussion.

Gary

The feeling is very mutual,as your lack of product knowledge,combined with your arrogant claims and your disparaging remarks about Casio is insulting.You sir,are a bleeding imbecile.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The feeling is very mutual,as your lack of product knowledge,combined with your arrogant claims and your disparaging remarks about Casio is insulting.You sir,are a bleeding imbecile.

And you lack even the the most basic netiquette. You are a spoiled child without manners or even the rudiments of civility.

Gary

Ask a Question