WORKSTATIONS: Yamaha Motif 8, Roland Fantom X8, or Korg Triton Studio 88?

Which music workstation should I choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
WORKSTATIONS: Yamaha Motif ES8, Roland Fantom X8, or Korg Triton Studio 88?

First of all I want to say 'hi everyone' because it's my first post inhere...
Ight, let's get to the point...

I think it's about time to buy myself a professional music equipment. I'm strongly confused about those 3 workstations. Each of these is soooo good, that I'd like to buy them all, but my financial status is not big enough :)
A very relevant aspect is a good sound. My workstation should work on WAVe files, because I want to master the sequences on a computer. Therefore, a good and easy compatibility with the computer is very important to me. I don't want to use it to play it, but primarily, to compose and use it as a sampler.

Do you know some known producers workin on some of these workstations? Cuz I've seen Timbaland working on Triton, I know that Scott Storch is using a Motif and I've heard some sounds from Fantom in Sean Paul's songs.
Korg Triton Studio 88 has one of the best music keyboards outthere, Yamaha Motif ES-8 is said to have a great instrument's sound and Roland Fantom X-8 comes from the series which has 16 dynamic pads just like an MPC, so it makes the drums sound very realistic! Some people say that Triton is mostly used in R'n'B/Pop industry, Motif does a great job in electronic music and Fantom is a perfect machine for hip-hop productions because of the dynamic pads and interface.

Anyway - I would like somebody to help me decide, and that's why I have a BIG request for all the users, tell me something about the useful options of these machines. Here are some features which I find the most important and which I'd like to be discussed:
*best sampler (slicing etc)
*clear sequencer
*biggest memory
*biggest sound bank
*easiest connection to the computer and file transfer (USB - because I'd like to have an option which allows to transfer the samples from the computer to the workstation and after the work, to save the finished sequences back on the computer)
*best keys
*biggest effects bank
*compatibility with *.wav files

Please ppl, help me to make a good choice!
I count on Y'all! :)

Reaction score
Hi I am a big fan of korg keyboards. I have a Korg Trinity and a Korg Karma which I love. So you would think I would choose the korg triton but NO!!!!! I have just got a Fantom X6 and love it. It is so easy to use and the sounds on board are fantastic.
Plus if you wanted to add the korg sounds latter get a korg triton rack. I am kicking myself that I didn't go for the X8 but I didn't have the space for it.

Reaction score
Hi I am a big fan of korg keyboards. I have a Korg Trinity and a Korg Karma which I love. So you would think I would choose the korg triton but NO!!!!! I have just got a Fantom X6 and love it. It is so easy to use and the sounds on board are fantastic.
Plus if you wanted to add the korg sounds latter get a korg triton rack. I am licking myself that I didn't go for the X8 but I didn't have the space for it.

Thanks for the advice Doug ;) to be honest, if I had to make a choice at this moment I would choose Roland Fantom X8, beside that fact, that in comparison to f.e. Motif, few known producers work on Fantom. It is a new 'experimantal' type of workstations and Triton or Motif have their 'history', maybe that's why.
Can anyone else tell anything about these aspects which I've pointed out, like best sampler etc?

Reaction score
You say you dont want to play it and its more for programing and recording then you could save yourself a heap of money by getting the five octive model ie fantom X6, Yamaha motif 6, or even go for the modules and soft synth root!!!!
Also check out the new Korg M3. Watch this :

Reaction score
yeaaa I was thinking about buying a Fantom and some Rack modules (cuz this is how it's called right?)
And this M3 - I've seen it before, it was in fact the first workstation machine I've ever saw, but too expensive for my budget ;)

Hey people, users of keyboardforums! Please vote and help me decide, I need more ppl to persuade me. :D

Reaction score
I have the x8. It's a fantastic keyboard and I've never regretted buying it. I'm actually bidding on a 2nd one on eBay every week trying to pick up a bargain. But always missing out on the final bid.
Since buyin it I've seen it on many tv shows like xfactor and also on many live performances by groups. So it's def not a bad choice if pros are using them.
Regards. Bren.

Reaction score
What I'd like to add here is that I used to own an original Roland Fantom,

and the UI was incredibly difficult (for me) to wade through compared to my Korg & Yamaha keyboards.

Things may have improved since then (couldn't get much worse!).

So, if I was in your position, I'd look at the Motif (are you thinking original, ES or XS?) - or Triton.

This presents a different 'problem'!..... Motif is better at 'authentic' sounds/voices (esp piano),

whilst Triton wins hands-down on the synth/pads etc type voices (+ it has the touchscreen - a huge bonus).

It's your cash - therefore your choice which you would prefer !!!

Of course you could always opt for the Fantom, but my opinion is that it's its voices

are somewhere in the middle -

ok at most things, but 'excellent' at none.

(Ps : I voted Triton - I love Korg Keyboards)

Reaction score
I agree the first Fantom was rubbish and I must admit I fell out of favour with roland at that time. Seemed that all there products where Sound Canvas gm modules and all sound's the same. But the new X and G series are fantastic and are very quick and easy to use. I have a Trinity and a Karma and had a triton in the passed so like the korg but give the Roland a chance, and forget the bad stuff in the passed.

Reaction score
I've read a lot of forums and materials about those synths and in general there were some things which used to be repeated, ie:

*Triton - very popular, solid, but the sampling menu is not enough functional and I've heard that that synth doesn't have a USB connection - that's why i don't know if it is good FOR ME - I've wrote that it has to have USB! ;)

*Motif - great sound, very functional, but has the most complicated menu from all the workstations and learning it might take years, besides, the worst and smallest screen of those 3 workstations that I've mentioned, which makes it even more difficult.

*Fantom - dynamic 'MPC' pads and a big, colour screen makes it unique, some say that it has the best piano sound of all workstations. It is also very easy to learn how to work on it because of a clear menu. It has the best sequencer. However, it is sometimes criticized because it's not so famous among musicians as Triton or Motif are ;)

what do you guys think? are my observations right?

Reaction score
If needing USB, the Triton should have never been put on your list. However the M3 has both firewire and usb. :)

Cheers

Ask a Question