Worth selling Oberheim Matrix 6?

Fin

Reaction score
I have an old Oberheim Matrix 6 lying around in the basement... It has great sounds, but they are just not what I need... With the money, I would get a Rolland VR-09. If I don't, it will probably take a year till I can afford the VR-09. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? How much could I get? One of the keys, the high D, is snapped in the middle... It still works, but you have to reach back for it. :oops: Everything else works. Thanks...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Oberheim Matrix 6 sells used nowadays for an average price of about $300 USD.

http://www.prepal.com/data/Oberheim.htm

From what I've read online it seems like it was a total beast to program and it's around 30 years old which means capacitors are starting to leak and something is likely to fry inside pretty soon.

Unless you are totally into vintage gear or in dire need of a boat anchor I'd say stick it on ebay and unload it on ebay to a collector who'll appreciate it and take the money and buy the VR-09 which is so much more modern and capable of playing the music of the past decade.

It's a no-brainer. Unload the boat anchor and buy the Roland... ;)

Gary ;)

Fin

Reaction score
That's exactly what I thought of it as... A "Boat anchor" ;)
That's what I'm hoping to do. There is quite a few on eBay though, and They don't seem to be selling... I'm thinking of selling it local, on KSL. What'cha think?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally when I buy and sell used gear I never use ebay. I can't be bothered trying to deal with the scam artists and lowballers and escrow services out there.

What I always do is buy and sell on my local Craigslist, Kijiji and any other free local internet classified service out there.

Not having to pay any fees or shipping helps keep my prices low and living in an urban market of 5 million people means I can usually find a buyer or seller within a month at most.

I still have to deal with lowballers but otherwise I can generally unload a used keyboard for a decent price within a month at most.

If you live in a decent sized city I'd say go for it and use every free service you can find to make the sale. Just don't be greedy and make sure you're honest about pointing out the defects up front. It's easy to get a bad reputation if you start burning people online.

Gary ;)

Fin

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
P.S: Do you think the image in the tag is obnoxious?

Fin

Reaction score
Sold the Oberheim... Everybody jumped on it. Got three calls in one hour... Did I sell it too cheap? $250... I could have done 600 and got the Rolland today!!! What do you think? The chart you sent me said $300 was the average, yet I see many listed on eBay for $600-$700... Did I make a mistake? :(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A lot of the stuff on ebay is people on fishing expeditions to squeeze the maximum dollar out of the suckers.

Anyway, $250 ain't bad for a 30 year old synth that's on its last legs to begin with.

Be thankful it sold easily enough and that now it's someone else's headache.

Life is too short for regrets... ;)

Gary

Fin

Reaction score
Yeah... I mean, who is to be complaining? I'm almost halfway to the Rolland now! :)

Ask a Question