Yamaha MX-61: How to Edit Voice Effects

Reaction score
I'm checking out the MX-61 and find some of the resident voice effects to have more depth than I care for; specifically, organ rotary and flute vibrato. I'd prefer to add my own effects/level, so maybe someone can tell me if it's possible to reduce or remove the “factory” effect settings – and give me some pointers on how to do it.
Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have an MX-61 or MX-49, but I think you might be able to turn down the depths of the organ rotary and the vibrato/tremolo/modulation. Check in the Synth Parameters document; if you don't have it, you can download a PDF copy of it from Yamaha:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/p...ry_id2=16381&category_id3=&product_id=1716497

If you're controlling the MX-61 via MIDI, check the MIDI Reference to see how to specify the organ rotary settings and other effects settings.

There's also some computer software for Windows and Mac, as well as apps for iOS, and hopefully these will let you create and save the voice settings that you prefer.

Out of curiosity, how are you "checking out the MX-61"? That is, are you test-driving it in a local store, or did you buy one and now you want to put it through its paces before you decide whether to keep it or return it to the store, etc.?

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, SeaGtGruff.
I have not yet purchased the MX-61, but I do have the manual pdfs and did spend some time with the MX-61 a few months ago. Although it met my price/weight/size criteria, I initially rejected it because the white keys had some rough edges, as compared to older PSRs, Rolands, et al. Figured I was being too picky, so I took a closer listen to the voices of interest, some of which were just “over-saturated” to my ear. Not knowing LFO from GTO I couldn't figure out from the manuals how to edit the factory-applied effects, so I was hoping to get some step-by-step on how to do that – if it's possible. If not, I think I'll hold off for now. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Really appreciate the follow-up, SeaGtGruff, and looks like you've got steered me in the right direction. I've also made connection with an MX-61 user on the motifator forum who's done something similar to what I'm looking to do. Going to try to get my hands on the MX this week and try his suggestions. Thanks again!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You're welcome! Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

Reaction score
Just a quick follow-up on the effects editing: On the MX-61 you can edit certain organ effects (eg, rotary speeds), but you cannot edit the Sweet Flute vibrato, which is part of the sampled voice. You can edit such things on higher-end models. Bad Mister on the YamahaSynth Forum has been most helpful, so if I end up with the MX-61, I'll likely be camping out on that forum for a while. Thanks for the interest and help, guys.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
you cannot edit the Sweet Flute vibrato, which is part of the sampled voice.

I was afraid of that. I, too, find the Sweet Flute's vibrato (on the PSR-E4x3 keyboards) to be annoying, and had thought to try using CC events to see if I could reduce the amount of vibrato, although I haven't tried that yet. I guess the only option is to select a different Flute voice which isn't so heavy on the vibrato.

Reaction score
Yep, I guess there is such a thing as too much sugar... or saccharin -- in the digital sense ;)

I actually like the Yamaha sweet voices as a rule. Don't have any on my old PSR 530. I think if I could get a PSR that didn't require batteries to retain the registration settings I'd go that way. As it is, I'll no doubt opt for the MX61 -- if I can come up with a pedal (other than FC7) that will control the organ rotary. I'm beginning to miss my old Alesis QS6.2 -- it even had aftertouch. Wasn't crazy about the grand piano though... Yamaha's got 'em beat (IMHO) on the canned pianos. Of course, you can get an QS card with killer classical pianos, I hear. I got the Vintage Keyboards card for mine. But that kb's gone and I have two Yamaha dealers close by, so MX61 may be it.

Maybe others will weigh in if they've got a favorite. Korg Kross-61 anyone...?

Wishing all a happy and safe 4th!

Ask a Question