Yamaha NP31 vs YPG235 vs Casio WK220

Reaction score
I mainly use the piano sound because I play classical and recently Have been searching for an affordable 76key piano keyboard to practice (which I havent done for more than a decade). My first option is of course the least costly of the 3 wc is Casio WK220 plus it sounds really good on youtube. now Im wondering if its piano sound is just as good as the other two. have to wait to test NP31 because the stocks have not arrived in the ONLY Yamaha distributor in my city. the others Ill test maybe this weekend.can anyone tell me what they think?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've never played any of those three, and I'm a little more familiar with Yamaha keyboards than Casios, so I'll just make a few comments about the NP-31 versus the YPG-235.

Voices, or instrument sounds-- The NP-31 has only 10 different voices to choose from, all of them basic keyboard instruments (piano, organ, harpsichord, etc.) except for one strings voice and one vibraphone voice. The YPG-235 has close to 500 different voices, including sound effects and drum kits.

Layering and splitting-- The NP-31 lets you combine (layer) two voices together, and you can separately shift each layer up or down 1 octave, but you can't split the keyboard. The YPG-235 also lets you combine (layer) two voices together, and you can separately shift each layer up or down 2 octaves, plus you can split the keyboard (select and play a different sound for the left-hand side) and shift the split voice up or down 2 octaves.

Styles, or auto-accompaniments-- The NP-31 doesn't have any built-in styles or style-playing capabilities, whereas the YPG-235 does. Again, you might not care about whether the keyboard can play an accompaniment for you.

Registrations-- The NP-31 doesn't let you save and recall any keyboard setups. The YPG-235 lets you save and recall up to 16 different keyboard setups-- i.e., the selected voices and their various settings, the accompaniment style and its tempo, the different types of effects (reverb, chorus, and harmony), etc.

Recording-- The NP-31 doesn't have an onboard MIDI recorder for recording and playing back your own songs. The YPG-235 has an onboard MIDI recorder so you can record and play back up to 5 songs, with up to 6 tracks per song (5 voice tracks plus 1 accompaniment track).

Bottom line-- Try to play them yourself, preferably side-by-side, so you can hear and feel how they compare with each other.

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Im glad to say I purchased Casio wk220 as it was readily available on a mall nearby. Its a great 76 key touch response keyboard with many piano sound varieties. It looks REALLY NEAT with its black white and silver finish. As far as I'm concerned as long as it sounds like a piano and looks good then its good enough for me.

Ask a Question