Yamaha touch problem

Reaction score
Hi ,
Do you know about a problem that one key start to loose his touch, when it happens when you push the key it can do on of three- 1- no sound at all' 2 - sound with touch ' 3 - sound without touch.
Is there a way to solve it , should i open the keyboard and see what is going on there?

my Keyboard is Yamaha PSR S500.
Thank you

Reaction score
Thank for the answer.
I was cleaning the problematic keys , one of them is Ok until now, the second is not! when i touch him is like it has no touch.
How can i fix the touch issue? do you know where ( inside the keyboards ) i can find what makes the touch? is it those contact points in the first video?
Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
the "touch" or velocity sensitivity of a modern keyboard is determined by a pair of switch contacts for each key. When a key is first depressed it makes or breaks contact with one switch then when it hits bottom it makes or breaks contact with a second switch depending on design.

The time it takes from step 1 to step 2 determines the note velocity or volume of the strike.

On the first video you can see the contacts are in pairs. Make sure you not only clean the circuit board contact pads with isopropyl alcohol but also the small black rubber dots inside the rubber cups.

They are carbon impregnated silicone rubber and act as a conductor to make the contact.

BE VERY CAREFUL when cleaning the contact pads on the board.

If it's still giving you trouble at this point, check the circuit board trace on the switching bed with a magnifier and make certain that they are undamaged. if there's a break in the trace you may attempt to patch the break with a drop of solder but a better choice would be to simply purchase a new contact board assembly for that octave.

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a yamaha PSR S970 sometimes i get frustrated playing the piano. It has some touch response issues with the key C2. Normally this key plays well but when using a combination of keys along with this key it loses it touch response. Can anyone help me with this issue???

Reaction score
Hi ,
Do you know about a problem that one key start to loose his touch, when it happens when you push the key it can do on of three- 1- no sound at all' 2 - sound with touch ' 3 - sound without touch.
Is there a way to solve it , should i open the keyboard and see what is going on there?

my Keyboard is Yamaha PSR S500.
Thank you
I have a yamaha PSR S970 sometimes i get frustrated playing the piano. It has some touch response issues with the key C2. Normally this key plays well but when using a combination of keys along with this key it loses it touch response. Can anyone help me with this issue???

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

I think that may be a bug in the OS or a design limitation. What's the polyphony of the unit and how much other crap do you have it doing accompaniment-wise or MIDIed in?

You might be reaching the limits of polyphony and FX.

Ask a Question