120-button accordion bass with MIDI OUT

Reaction score
I just finished successfully wiring up my 120-button (single button contact) Farfisa accordion bass section to MIDI. It's amazingly compact and the single contact operation works even lighter than on a mechanical accordion bass!

On a mechanical bass each button needs to open 3 to 4 air flaps and with additional spring contacts the buttons are getting pretty hard to press!

Jeez, that was a crazy job! It took my 3 weeks to get it right. It looks pretty messy, but it works and sound truly great. I'm excited abut the result!
The thing I like most on it is that it offers me (accordion player) the chance to combine manual and Yamaha styles accompaniment.
Now I am even able to manually enrich and vary the bass +chords and so, make it the great sounding Tyros 3, Yamaha styles automatic accompaniment sound "far less automatic".

My last challenge is to recreate that typical accordion "bellow shake", which at the same time controls volume and tremolo variations, like on an accordion. That creates emotional presents! The foot pedal is not good enough. Maybe you too got an idea on that?
My initial idea is to place the bass section onto soft spring, which make it easy to wobble. I then also would need to create a circuit with a lamp + LDR. I fear the LDR's reaction timing will be too slow...? How to increase the reaction speed?

Ask a Question