2 keyboards sharing the same midi channel

Reaction score
Hi, my first post here.
I am a home based producer.
I mainly work with acoustic music, but i just bought a bunch of Eastwest instruments.
I don't have a big understanding using midi.

I have a 49note Novation. Iv'e been recommended to buy a 25note keyboard and use it on the same midi channel for operating the keyswitches.
I like the sound of this,
instead of buying a new 61note keyboard.
Is this possible?
Thanks Tom

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The short answer is yes, it's possible.

Which model of Novation do you have?

Which brand and model of 25-key controller are you planning to get?

Will you be connecting them directly to your computer, or going through some other piece of hardware first?

Which DAW will you be using?

Reaction score
Thanks SeaGtGruff.
I have a Novation Remote 49 LE.
I thought about getting the Novation Launchkey 25, as it has all those input sliders and knobs.
I use Logic pro 9 and i plug my Novation Remote 49 LE directly into the computer, as i probably will do with the 2nd keyboard, unless there's a reason to help with the 2 keyboard set-up.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Logic Pro, but it's one of the "big dogs" so I'd imagine it can do this. Hopefully someone here uses Logic Pro and can point you in the right direction.

Reaction score
If you are just buying the keyboard in order to provide additional 'switches' it might make sense to purchase a small midi controller box that accomplishes the same thing but would have a much smaller footprint, perhaps something like this:

https://midicontrol.wordpress.com/category/controllers/

Do a google search on 'midi controller' and see what comes up, it might give you alternative ideas.

Ask a Question