25 key midi controller with 5 pin midi out?

Reaction score
In contrast to Joe, I also had an Alesis but the Q49 and it sucked, whilst the keys had a good feel they were velocity sensitive and on the one I had they were not consistent.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I like the build quality of Novation and Akai Professional controllers, except I've not yet tried any of their keyboard controllers, just some of their launch pad and mixer controllers, which are built like tanks. But I would love to try some of their keyboard controllers, although they cost a good bit more than I'd like-- say, $250 (or even more) for a 25-key controller, which is what my 61-key PSR-E433 and E443 cost. Actually, my 76-key PSR-EW400 cost about the same as that, also, but only because I got it on sale before the PSR-EW410's release. So the idea of paying that much for a 25-key controller presents a psychological barrier that I just can't get past. But they sure do look nice! :)

Reaction score
Checkout

Arturia Keystep.

All Arturia products do seem to get very good reviews.

I am considering one of their KeyLab Essential 49 or 61 controllers myself

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I bought the Keylab Essential 49 last week and there are a few caveats.

While is DOES have a real MIDI port and can be powered either by USB or Wall Wart the controls are kind of stupid. You CANNOT use the encoder wheel or increment and decrement buttons to scroll thru patches on a hardware module.

Apparently those controls can only be used with their own VST software. :p

What I can do is set up the 8 drum pads into 6 banks of 8 individual patches that I have to program manually one by one. So I can basically program 48 patches as my setup.

This has been confirmed by their tech support.

On the other hand, the keys are very light and have a decent feel comparable to a Korg X50 or mid range Casio WK model. If you are familiar with those boards and like the key feel you would not be disappointed.

Currently I am still debating with myself as to whether I'll keep it or else send it back to the store in exchange for something else.

I think I am leaning toward keeping it.

In practice I rarely use more than a dozen patches anyway.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question