37 key MIDI-keyboard tips

Reaction score
Hey!

I've got a synth-module (Minimax ASB), and I need a MIDI-keyboard for it. I want 37 full size keys, pitch bend, modulation wheel and MIDI out, and I would rather not have lots of pads and other unnecessary controls, as I have the controls I need on the module. BUT - the problem is that this does not seem to exist. Why does no manufacturers make 37-key fullsize keyboards? You can't really play anything with 25 keys, and 49-88 keys is starting to get a little unpractical to travel with for many people. Does anyone have any tips? I could be happy with 32 keys also.

Thanks for the help,
Raxx

Reaction score
raxx

It looks like your major stumbling block is going to be the need for a 5-pin-DIN MIDI OUT (aka: "REAL" MIDI). All but one of the units I could find had just a USB connection, but the one with a 5-pin-DIN MIDI OUT has a set of knobs and sliders that you do not need/want. The assumption seems to be that if you just want bare bones key control, then you must be connecting to some type of touch screen device that will handle your "on screen" controls (iPad, etc), but if you want 5-pin-DIN MIDI, then you will probably want/need something a little more sophisticated with some onboard controllers. Take a look at the i2 Control-37 by MIDItech. The two main drawbacks I see for you are the controls that add to the bulk and price, and the MOD/PITCH BEND wheels being mounted above the keys instead of at the end. I always found that awkward. Anyway, this thing has both USB AND 5-pin-DIN MIDI, and can be USB, AC adapter, or battery powered. If you do go this route, there is always the possibility of controlling some or all of your module functions from the keyboard, so that you keep your hands strictly at the keyboard. Best of luck in your search.

Amazon.com listing: http://www.amazon.com/Control-USB-M...F8&qid=1443245318&sr=8-9&keywords=37+key+midi

MIDItech manual: http://www.miditech.de/userfiles/manuals/i2Control-37_black_edition_Manual_E-D_3-2014.pdf

Reaction score
raxx

It looks like your major stumbling block is going to be the need for a 5-pin-DIN MIDI OUT (aka: "REAL" MIDI). All but one of the units I could find had just a USB connection, but the one with a 5-pin-DIN MIDI OUT has a set of knobs and sliders that you do not need/want. The assumption seems to be that if you just want bare bones key control, then you must be connecting to some type of touch screen device that will handle your "on screen" controls (iPad, etc), but if you want 5-pin-DIN MIDI, then you will probably want/need something a little more sophisticated with some onboard controllers. Take a look at the i2 Control-37 by MIDItech. The two main drawbacks I see for you are the controls that add to the bulk and price, and the MOD/PITCH BEND wheels being mounted above the keys instead of at the end. I always found that awkward. Anyway, this thing has both USB AND 5-pin-DIN MIDI, and can be USB, AC adapter, or battery powered. If you do go this route, there is always the possibility of controlling some or all of your module functions from the keyboard, so that you keep your hands strictly at the keyboard. Best of luck in your search.

Amazon.com listing: http://www.amazon.com/Control-USB-MIDI-Controller-Keyboard/dp/B005WKK3T6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1443245318&sr=8-9&keywords=37 key midi

MIDItech manual: http://www.miditech.de/userfiles/manuals/i2Control-37_black_edition_Manual_E-D_3-2014.pdf

Thanks for the thorough reply! This is actually a really good alternative. The knobs and faders could get handy, so I won't let them get in the way. Still finding it a little weird that there seems to be so few 37 key keyboards out there...

Ask a Question