4 Takte - 10 Sek ?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
What does this mean? In bold just above the first bar.
IMG_2541.JPG

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
So I would guess, 4 beats = 10 seconds, or 1 beat = 2.5 seconds, or 24 BPM?

EDIT: Actually, no. Apparently "cycles" means "bars," so 4 bars = 10 seconds. That means 16 beats = 10 seconds, or 96 BPM.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I can count on you.

I just found this vintage Bee Gees book at an Op Shop. It has 15 hit songs and published in 1967.
This is the only song in the book with the weird timing nomenclature.
Anyway, I have started playing a few of their tunes. They are fairly easy to play and sound cool. They have nice melodies and simple chord progression.
With this tune, I just found a suitable ballad and set my tempo quite low and bingo . . Got if sounding sweet.
But now I will now set it for 96 bpm as suggested by . . @SeaGtGruff

That means 16 beats = 10 seconds, or 96 BPM.
Cheers
I have now moved on to "Words" and "Massachusetts"

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I was listening to an old video of the song, then using an online metronome to see whether 96 BPM is correct. It sounds close, but slowing the metronome down to 88 BPM or 92 BPM sounds closer, so I'm guessing that 90 BPM is probably about right.

Reaction score
Every time I see someone 'reading music' I feel so inadequate! I can play almost any song by ear (including simple chord progressions) - tried learning to read music, but once I hear the tune, I tend to reproduce it by ear.

I see a lot of ads for piano apps, will these help me?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
"Piano and keyboard for Dummies" by Hal Leonard

Combines the keys with staffs.

It teaches all the basic aspects of the treble and bass staffs showing relevance to the keybed. This theory and understanding may take your mind set from "playing by ear"
Just a thought.
There is also an "idiots guide" exact title eludes me but google it. Amazon will have it as well as book shops and librarys.

Good luck.

Ray

Reaction score
Thanks much, Ray - incidentally, my tomcat is named 'Ray'. Appreciate all you guys for helping this world make music and not the other ugly things our newspapers are full of these days.

I have also recently bought an ipad - is there an app that can guide me as I play on the keyboard?

Reaction score
Milk! Aha - Ray does not drink milk, he only has Whiskas and Sheba. But he does jump on my keyboards (which are dutifully covered)

Attachments

• IMG-20191007-WA0046.jpg
    IMG-20191007-WA0046.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG-20191007-WA0045.jpg
    IMG-20191007-WA0045.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG-20191007-WA0044.jpg
    IMG-20191007-WA0044.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
How cute! Biggles, just noticed 'Col' in your signature - are you a Colonel? As in, which branch of the forces?

Reaction score
How cute! Biggles, just noticed 'Col' in your signature - are you a Colonel? As in, which branch of the forces?
The Col in my signature is the shortend version of my name.

No, I am no Colonel nor are there any in my near family only grunts.

Well that sort of is not true, I worked in our Civil Service for a while and our jobs had equivalent military rank and mine was that of a Colonel.

Does that count?

To give Cowboy something to hunt out, I know my ancestry back rather a long time and one of my direct ancestors was the standard bearer to King Henry V at the battle of Agincourt, .......... cry God for Harry England and St George.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm a rat of the giant mutant variety. I chew up kittens and sh*t whiskers for breakfast. :D :D :D

Actually in my family we're more dog lovers than cat owners.

The only thing a cat is good for is to hold down the newspaper on a windy day :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question