$500 range, new or used

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not much of a piano/keyboard player, but I enjoy playing, and I enjoy writing music on keys (I played jazz trumpet for a number of years, so I have some knowledge of theory). I have a piano at home, but I can't play it after the kids go to bed (which is when I have the most time to play). I'm looking to buy a keyboard, used or new, in the $500 range, and would greatly appreciate any recommendations. This would be for playing/writing at home with headphones on; I don't anticipate any public performances anytime soon.

Here are some nice-to-haves, though I imagine I can't get all of this in my price range:
  • full 88 keys
  • weighted keys
  • MIDI capability (anticipate using this to help write music)
  • simple sequencing
  • sustain pedal
Here are some things I do NOT care much about:
  • a million different sounds
  • speaker sound quality
  • anything automatic, like drums or automatic harmonization or anything
  • the most beautiful, realistic sounds
Thanks for your help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a look at a used or closeout demo deal on a Casio Privia PX-350 or a Yamaha DGX-650.

You should be able to find either one under budget.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Just looked on eBay, and the DGX 650 is still mostly in the $600 range. (I did see one in the range you're looking for, but shipping might push it over. It's not a light instrument.)

Then I looked at the DGX 640, which is almost as good as the 650, which is almost as good as the current 660. There were three listed, two of which is in your price range, and one of which is a bit over priced. I thought I'd share the last one.

upload_2016-6-3_9-44-22.png

Just a thought. If you're ONLY going to use headphones, you might be able to save some money by looking at keyboards without built in speakers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My advice is to avoid Ebay like the plague. Every idiot jacks up the price to the max, the shipping costs will kill you and if there's a defect returns are ridiculously expensive.

Check your local craigslist for a few weeks and check out local dealers for floor stock, or open box B Stock returns.

BTW, the Casio PX-350 is a top rated keyboard in its class and it only weighs a feather-light 25 lbs.

Both models I listed have been recently discontinued.

And the speaker argument holds no water. As a rule, keyboards without speakers built in are considered to be professional grade and generally cost more than consumer grade gear with built in speakers.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I only looked at eBay to get an idea what people think something's worth. And then I saw the slightly overpriced item, which I felt I had to share.

Normally the only musical instrument that I'd be getting on eBay would be an incredibly rare one. One that would probably never appear on Craig's List. (One day I'll find the money and get either an Andromeda or a Matrix12. But I wouldn't hold my breath for either.)

Ask a Question