61-keys keyboard or 88-keys keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi, as for the beginners' first piano, I would like to show my view on this topic.

Well, I start to learn to play the piano at 6 years old, my first keyboard was a 61-keys keyboard(YAMAHA KB-220), which perform pretty great for a 6-year-old girl to play! However, after several years of play, my fingers are not strong enough to hold the hammer action keys on the original piano.

Based on my piano study experience, I guess maybe a 61 keys keyboard is not suitable for people to meet the needs for piano courses. I have divided the piano learning situation into three categories:

A. Amateurs who do not intend to take long-term piano lessons
B. Intended to take the piano courses for a long time
C. People who intend to work in piano fields

61 keys keyboard could meet all of your needs if you are A. You can shop the keyboard with a light-up key, which leads you to learn in minutes.
(YAMAHA EZ-220; The ONE Light Keyboard; Casio LK-265; RockJam RJ761 )

88 keys keyboard/piano should be better if you are B/C.
(Stage piano should be better with B, such as Roland RD-88; The ONE Smart Keyboard Pro; Casio PX-S1100)
(Upright piano should be better with C, such as Roland HP-704; The ONE Smart Piano; Donnar DDP-100)

Hope everyone can enjoy their music time!

Reaction score
Do not agree at all.

If anyone want to learn to play Keyboard style then a 61 or 76 or even an 88 would work well but the 88 may give a few issues for some instruments like organ.

If anyone want to learn to play piano then a hammer action keybed is the most desirable way with 73/76 or best of all 88 keys. Yamaha P125 or Roland FP 30X or Kawai ES110 spring to mind as DP’s more suited to learning to play piano.

Lighted keyboards may be great for kids but for more serious adults then a starter keyboard of a Yamaha PSR E463 or Korg EK50 would be far more suitable imo.

Reaction score
I recently tried the Casio PX-S1000 and PX-SX3000 in a store, and was frankly stunned by how nice the key action was for such compact and inexpensive instruments. They're otherwise pretty bare-bones, but if you want a decent piano feel that fits in a small amount of space, they're worth a look.

Ask a Question