61 note Synths with aftertouch

Reaction score
Trying to sort through Google for synths with aftertouch is a nightmare with so much commercial dross everywhere. Sellers coming up in searches selling gear that DOES not have it even when searching specifically for it.

So outside the + $3000 "megastars" can anyone list those 61 note 'boards (not controllers) that have aftertouch?

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW the Studiologic Sledge has 61 beautiful Fatar keys with aftertouch.

Also the 37 key Deepmind 6 and the 49 key Deepmind 12 have aftertouch.

Also the PC3K from Kurzweil has aftertouch as well if you are not specifically looking at analogue and virtual analog alone.

And the 49 key ASM Hydrasynth has KEY AFTERTOUCH!! Not simple Channel Aftertouch like those I previously mentioned.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Howabout you research the list yourself and post it here so that everyone can benefit from that morsel of knowledge? :D

Gary
How about you read the OP and in particular the opening sentence ;)
And re the second post - also re-read the OP - not the +$3k stuff :)
And yet again - 61 key was in the OP

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN?? By 61 key synth?

Do you mean an arranger? A Workstation? An Analog or VA synth?

First of all you play loose with the terminology and you expect us to do your homework for you as well?

We get THOUSANDS of people here every year looking for keyboard recommendations.

But they, at least, are somewhat specific and forthcoming about what exactly they are looking for in a keyboard.

You simply typed a paragraph and a sentence asking us to cough up a ready made comparison chart of EVERY BLOODY TYPE OF SYNTH OUT THERE? And give us attitude to boot?

Maybe if you actually told us what the hell you're looking for and how you plan to use it you'd get constructive answers.
\
Gary

:mad::mad::mad:

Reaction score
61 note synth with aftertouch not above $3000 - not a controller...I would have thought that reasonably narrow set of guidleines there.......$'s on pretty much all forums is taken as read that it is US....not many other countries use dollars, and if it was Australia I would have put AUD in the description....I had already tried for a couple of hours to get something online in searches, but all I got was heaps of link clicking but no actual helpful info...so here, a dedicated keyboard forum where I felt sure this stuff was more front of mind than anything else, I thought may have been a go-to resource. Seems I was mistaken.

No need to get mad m8, life is too short...if you can't help, just say you can't help instead of passive-aggressive gestures hidden under smileys.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Listen man. What kind of music do you make or hope to make?

Disco? Gospel? Classical? Metal? Grunge? Oldies? Rave?

Seriously, without knowing what you intend to use it for nobody could begin to maker an educated guess as to your needs?

Most people are easy. they either want the best piano OR the best organ OR the best synth sounds.

If you're looking for a sub $3000 arranger or workstation with channel aftertouch, you are SOL my friend.

If you want an analog or VA synth with aftertouch it's doable, UNTIL you hit the 61 key mark. All those are out of your price range as well. And they wouldn't sound all that great with your Johnny Cassh tribute band or whatever.

SO... For the last time I ask. What the hell are you looking for?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
haha ok,fair enough - it'll be sitting on top of a PC4, so a lot of the "dog work" will be on that. The synth will be used for adjunct strings, brass, organ (probably using VB3M via iPad mini) synth leads -pads arp setups etc etc. It may also be needed to do the aforementioned "dog work" if I then on occasion use it with straight 88 note controller (no sounds).

So $3k (USD) and below, 61 keys, MUST have after-touch not a controller. NOT an arranger, a synth. Oh and I should probably add 128 note poly...I think it's only going to be a second hand Korg or Yammie something or other really, but you never know someone out there might know of something that is not quite "there" but may be worth compromising for :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A used PC3K6 would also fit the bill but there would be a lot of overlap with the sounds of the PC4.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
if you dont mind an older keyboard look for an Ensoniq SD-1. I use to own one, it has polyphonic aftertouch. Very few mfgers made polyphonic aftertouch. probably pick one up for $600. One of my favorite keyboards.

Reaction score
If you're looking for a sub $3000 arranger or workstation with channel aftertouch, you are SOL my friend.
alphabetically...

Korg PA1000
Kurzweil PC4, PC4-7, K2700, and possibly some older models still available
and for "sometimes Y," there's Yamaha Montage 6 (not quite a workstation, but close enough for many people)

If you want an analog or VA synth with aftertouch it's doable, UNTIL you hit the 61 key mark.
alphabetically...

Access Virus TI2
Arturia Polybrute
Modal Electronics Cobalt8X (and Argon8X if you expand the list to include wavetable synths)
Nord Wave 2
Novation Summit
Roland Jupiter X
Sequential Prophet Rev2 (8 or 16 versions),
Studiologic Sledge

Last edited:
Reaction score
haha ok,fair enough - it'll be sitting on top of a PC4, so a lot of the "dog work" will be on that. The synth will be used for adjunct strings, brass, organ (probably using VB3M via iPad mini) synth leads -pads arp setups etc etc. It may also be needed to do the aforementioned "dog work"... Oh and I should probably add 128 note poly
To me, that's not a "synth" in the traditional sense (see the ones I listed in the second category of the previous post), though people do use the term loosely. It sounds like you're looking for another workstation or workstation-type board, similar to the PC4 (since the PC4 pretty much does everything you listed there). So to come at this from another angle, what are you looking for that is NOT adequately handled within the capabilities of the PC4?

NOT an arranger, a synth.
It may also be worth taking note of the fact that arrangers can also be good at these things. I've used the Korg PA1000 for the kinds of things you listed... I haven't touched any of its arranger features. So you may not want to rule something out "just" because it's an arranger. Until the PC4-7 came out, the PA1000 was probably the lightest weight board available with aftertouch, at least 61 keys, and reasonably strong sounds of the various types you mentioned (some more so than others). Touchscreen patch selection is nice for live performance. The speakers ended up being a nice convenience too.

ETA: I forgot about the Numa Compact 2/2X which are lighter than the PA1000 and still give you aftertouch and 61+ keys (88, in this case). Nice boards, great value, nice MIDI and organ functionality on the 2X... but overall, the Korg is way more versatile.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey folks, thanks for all your suggestions much appreciated!
@AS In the end I went for a Yammie Montage 6. Thought it would compliment the PC4 nicely....I did feel some spark at the PA1000 though and as the Yammie is on short term rental, so it will get a good run over three months, I might put the PA1000 on the list IF the Montage work out.

Reaction score
Joden: I'm glad that you've found what you desire, but I have to note that you have been nasty to several folks on at least two of your threads on this site, for no good reason, and then you blame them ("no need to get mad...") for your nastiness. If you desire kindness and an open discussion, please strive for kindness yourself. There, I've said my peace. Rock on.

Ask a Question