80s synth chords, rhythms and bass

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm fairly new to keyboard and I hope to create some 80s inspired music but the problem is, I have no creative imagination whatsoever! So to start off, I was looking to create some italo-disco style tracks and stuff like Jan Hammer's darker tracks in Miami Vice and was wondering if there are any "typical" rhythms , basslines and chords I can start with and then build a song from there?

Pretty vague question really, I do apologise! Any other recommendations on creating 80s music would be greatly appreciated!

I'm always the one asking the questions and not the one answering questions on this forum, but I do hope to give something back eventually :) Thanks!

Jordan

Reaction score
Hello Jordan

I hope you and the Roland are getting on well! Here's an article that may help your cause:

https://www.keyboardmag.com/lessons/get-jan-hammers-synth-lead-sound

Also, You Tube usually has lessons (of varying degree of usefulness!) so try a search for Crocket's Theme or even the main Miami Vice Theme, to give you a flavour of his composition.

Being more of a '60s garage person I do appreciate my help will be limited, but it's a start!

All the best

Morgan

Reaction score
Hi Morgan,

Getting on very well! Taking time to learn everything and even put a tune together, but enjoying it. Thanks a lot for that link, it's very detailed! This should give me plenty to practise with for a while.

No worries at all, any input from anybody is always gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Jordan

Reaction score
Hi Jordan

I'm so glad to hear that you and the VR are getting along very well!

Don't forget the links at the bottom as well, more related stuff but a couple of Jan Hammer bits as well.

Morgan

Ask a Question