88 key stage piano recommendations

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to get an 88 key hammer action stage piano, with an action on the lighter side as I play a bit of organ and synth stuff as well as piano. I would also like to have a pitch bend and mod wheel ideally. I don't need anything beyond the main sounds of pianos, organs, EPs, strings etc. My budget is up to £1000. If anyone has a recommendation that would be much appreciated!
Cheers,
Adam

Reaction score
Roland FP 60X
Roland FP E50
Kawai ES520
Kawai ES120
Yamaha DGX670
Yamaha P125
All may be a nit heavy for organ usage.

Compromise, but to me the most likely option even though it has an 88 key semi weighted keybed:-

Numa Compact 2X

Reaction score
Thanks, that's very helpful! I will check them all out. I was wondering about the Novation Launchkey 88, which is also semi weighted but is a Midi controller only so had no built in sounds. I would be a bit nervous about using it live in case something went wrong with the iPad and then I had no sounds at all. I was wondering if perhaps connecting a hardware midi module might provide reliable backup in this situation, if anyone has tried this? Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might consider a Roland Juno DS88 as well.

Under your budget, jack-of-all-trades, performance keyboard with a very nice, ivory touch, hammer action keyboard and under 35 lbs weight.

My comment on the modular approach? Wiring nightmare. multiple power cables, wall warts, MIDI and audio cables. OK for home use but I wouldn't gig with it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I was wondering about the Novation Launchkey 88, which is also semi weighted

Originally you said you wanted hammer action. If you are open to semi-weighted, there are other options. They will be lesser feeling for piano, but better feeling for organ. You might look at the Numa Compact 2X, for example. That one also has good MIDI controller functions. You can connect your iPad with a single USB cable for both MIDI and audio, so it's not the wiring nightmare Gary referred to (though I would also want to keep the iPad power plugged in, so that is an additional cable). Plus the board has internal sounds to fall back on which addresses your concern of being "a bit nervous about using it live in case something went wrong with the iPad and then I had no sounds at all."

Reaction score
Thanks both, they are good suggestions. I quite like the look of the Casio PX-S3100 which looks like a good compromise if anyone has much experience with it. Apparently it has a relatively light hammer action and has decent internal sounds.

Reaction score
I missed my edit window. I just wanted to reflect that Biggles had already suggested the Numa, which somehow I missed, or forgot between when I read the thread and started typing my reply. Sorry, big! Another advantage of it is that it has the pitch and mod controls you'd like to have. None of the other models he mentioned have that.

Reaction score
Thanks both, they are good suggestions. I quite like the look of the Casio PX-S3100 which looks like a good compromise if anyone has much experience with it. Apparently it has a relatively light hammer action and has decent internal sounds.

I tried a 1000 & a 3000 about three years ago, not impressed, keybed is behind Roland and Yamaha in feel, there is a lot of whinging online about it. OS not intuitive it really is a case of having to RTFM. The touch interface for the controls was problematic for me.

Your best option is to go on a Road Trip to a few Music Store and try them, depending upon where you live that is. PMT, Rimmers and Dawsons ha e a good selection in the North West.

Reaction score
I tried a 1000 & a 3000 about three years ago, not impressed, keybed is behind Roland and Yamaha in feel, there is a lot of whinging online about it.

The criticism about the action (related to its short pivot) is something that bugs some people a lot, and others not at all, so yeah, like you said, go to a store... you really have to try it. But the other big variable about the action here might be that, unlike what people are more often looking for, it seems that the goal is not which of these has the best feel for piano, but more like which of these is best for a piano that you also want to play organ from, and that's kind of a different criteria which may change someone's opinion about which action is better than which.

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help. Where I live there are a couple of music shops but they don't have any of the models suggested in stock to try unfortunately. They mainly have Nords, Rolands, workstation / arrangers and traditional digital pianos.

That's helpful to know about the Casio, I did think the touchscreen UI might be awkward to use live, although I'm planning to mainly use the iPad for sounds so it is more as a backup if something goes wrong. It also has a pitch bend which is handy, though two mod dials rather than a wheel which is not ideal but not too bad either.

The Numa 2X looks good too, semi weighted isn't really a problem. The Yamaha CK88 is at the top of my budget but it does look very good. Apparently it uses the same keybed as the MODX8 which they do have in stock and does feel nice, and much lighter than the Roland RD88. Lots to think about! Thanks again

Reaction score
Yamaha also has the MX88 at a lower price, but yeah, that CK looks really nice. Once you're looking at these higher end, more versatile boards, a Korg Kross could be worth looking at, too. Also a Kurzweil, if there are any around you.

Reaction score
I am looking to sell my Numa Compact 2X so if you are interested please PM me.

I live in the North West and was intending to eBay it in the next month or so with collection only or free delivery within 30 miles.

Reaction score
I am looking to sell my Numa Compact 2X so if you are interested please PM me.

I live in the North West and was intending to eBay it in the next month or so with collection only or free delivery within 30 miles.
Thanks very much for the offer, but I'm going to go for either the Yamaha CK88 or the Casio PX-S3100. Just mulling it over!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My final $0.02 worth...

The CK88 is going to sound and play better than the Casio for sure.

And for future expansions, look at the inputs and outputs and compare the two.

Casio doesn't build their instruments these days to play well with traditional gear.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I appreciate your advice. I agree the CK88 is clearly a better keyboard and has much more functionality should you need it, but whether I can justify paying twice as much is tricky. Together with an iPad and having presets set up for using the inbuilt sounds if needed, it seems like the Casio would do the job. But perhaps better to keep saving up for the Yamaha. The GHS action is very nice for sure.
Cheers,
Adam

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The CK88 was just released recently.

Usually that means mid to late summer before they actually ship.

Plenty of time to save up for one.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The CK88 was just released recently.

Usually that means mid to late summer before they actually ship.

Plenty of time to save up for one.

Gary ;)
In the U.S., the CK88 and CK61 are readily available at all the usual places. (They started shipping April 6.)

Ask a Question