A basic question about singing with your keyboard?

Reaction score
Dear all, may I ask this question?

You all know about the auto-accompaniment features of electronic keyboards. What if you want to sing while using this feature?

Is it ok just to press the chords while your right hand doesn't do anything? Will it be enough to have a decent backing track?

My sincere thanks,

Reaction score
It works but I think it gets uninteresting after about 30 seconds.

Sometimes I shut off auto-accompaniment in the middle of a song and add a right hand part, play and sing along with the drum track.

Reaction score
Hi YeahDolt, last night I thought about the arpeggiator feature on the Yamaha or Casio.

Do you think it will be better if the right hand use the arpeggiator feature by playing the chords?

The Y_man

Reaction score

You all know about the auto-accompaniment features of electronic keyboards. What if you want to sing while using this feature?

Is it ok just to press the chords while your right hand doesn't do anything? Will it be enough to have a decent backing track?

My sincere thanks,

I can create a simple demo for you to try singing with :D Give me some chords and a preffered backing style (a CTK one).

The Y-man

Reaction score
@The Y_man: Wow, what an offer! I can't thank you enough. At the moment, I just want to ask for further info before buying a keyboard. In the future, I may have to ask for your help.

Thanks again.

Reaction score

My sincere thanks,

Breefly Nam: There ARE compositions that accomodate that manner of recording, even professionally BUT, ecsept your goal is merely self-satisfaction, in virtually EVERY case, you SHALL require at least ONE melody voice. Even the title "Beyond Thu Thorns" that you can perooz at www.ezrasohf.com , , if I recall correctly, haz at least 3 or more subtle melody tracks that in absence of, would detract considerably from the end result. That's what your mixer is intended to accomodate for you, , the recording of whatever song in its various parts, even however many voices, and then the harmonious blending of all such to produce the finished product BUT, I must confess that there's an ecseption to THAT also, or the BEATLES would never have become the largest crowd gathering performers in music history, with only voices and ukes. If you have sufishent inherent talent to develope and maintain an attractive style and on-stage presentation, the sky's the limit if your work is totally original. . . Archie

Reaction score

A very interesting question Thanh. My answer is: it depends.

Auto-accompaniment in keyboards is a mixture from rhythm patterns and some riffs from other instruments. In low-price keyboards you may have two variations in higher-price keyboards you have four variations, four intros and endings, fill ins etc. The variations develope from simple to full-band auto-accompaniment. The essential part is the rhythm- or style-part (rock, latin, beat, ballroom etc.)

If you have a guitar player for a country song, you hear the rhythm playing of the guitar and the singing voice for the melody.

When you take a song like 'Diana' from Paul Anka or Conny Francis you could have a quick beat auto-accompaniment and no right hand. In this case you should not only hold the left hand cords laying down, you should hit each of the quaver notes in the quick tempo with an extra lower (left-hand) sound (piano etc).

What I want to say is, if your left hand plays in a rhythmic way then you could do it.

Ask a Question