A Brand New Way From Roland To Torture The Dog

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

They call it the Aerophone.

Looks to me like a bad knockoff of the Akai EWI line or the Yamaha Electronic Wind Controller line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_w7AW7jPU

Personally I already own an EWI USB and its ability to use soft synths for under $350 makes it a clear winner in my book.

I'm not even sure if the Roland AE-10 allows a MIDI or USB connection.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
But the Roland whatchamacallit has two wing-like-ish protuberance thingies sticking out on either side, making it so much easier to firmly hold the whatchamacallit up with both hands while you blow into the insert-mouth-here end. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My EWI fits in a standard Alto Sax case and the fingering is switchable between flute, sax, brass and EWI's own fingering.

The Roland is made only for sax players and where on Earth are you going to find a case for that monster? I'm sure Roland will happily sell you a special case for only $450 :p

And here's the kicker. Street price is $1400 USD.

http://www.bettermusic.com.au/roland-ae10-aerophone-digital-wind-instrument-ae-10

I could buy 4 EWI USBs for the same money and still have enough left over to buy a decent practice amp. :p

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EWIusb

Here's more detail on the Roland...

Gary ;)

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago, maybe 2 years, that Akai introduced its EWI 5000, with something like 3GB of on board samples.
http://www.akaipro.com/product/ewi-5000
Half the price of the Roland device and, as Gary has said, several conventional fingering systems, which means you could move on to a flute or sax, etc.
There are some great demos on you tube. It sounds pretty good to me.

I have an EWI 4000s, the precursor to the USB version. I use it connected to an elderly Yamaha VL70m wind synthesiser.
I practice, when away from home, using headphones and the on board synth.
Bought a really good, padded alto sax bag from Thomann.

Reaction score
I had two reactions listening to all the demos. One, I found the demos of the Roland rather annoying. Other than the Boney James demo of the Akai EWI, all the rest reminded me of an audio of a Yamaha piano with a digital interface playing Rhapsody in Blue based on a piano roll cut by Gershwin. To show off the capacity of their piano, Yamaha increased the tempo to something no human could possibly play, undermining it musically.

I'm still looking for a good recording of the solo piano version of Rhapsody in Blue, if anyone has a favorite. There are a couple I think are promising, but I have all my notes at home and I'm away the rest of the week.

Anyway, cost aside, I don't know about the dog, but I'm ready to call Amnesty International (again, not reporting Boney James, that was beautiful).

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The main thing about MIDI Wind Controllers which 90% of the demos downplay or overlook is the fact that you can hook them up to any MIDI keyboard or module or soft synth and allow a flautist or a saxophonist to play incredible orchestral or synthesizer riffs.

Most the demos focus on traditional wind instrument sounds, as if they can sell these to professional players as a replacement for their acoustic instruments.

Where they should be trying to sell these though, is to every high school kid who played recorder in the school orchestra and dreamed of becoming a rock star.

Personally I wish there were more youtube demos of people playing kettle drums or crescendo strings or space age MOOG sounds on these instruments.

Once a player actually realizes what they're capable of, they can't help themselves but be hooked on them.

Agreed the built in sounds on some of these are really really lame, but once you hook up the MIDI you have all the expressiveness of a wind instrument driving a Korg Triton Module or Roland Integra 7. :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question