A bunch of keyboards

Reaction score
Being retired frees up a lot of time to work.

Work now being doing what we want to do.

You folks may have heard of an organisation called U3A whose principle aim is to educate senior persons.

I am part of a keyboard group within U3A and we are looking to fee bid for four or five new keyboards suitable for beginners / intermediate players.

We would like to encourage more beginners and hence more keyboards rather than a couple of more expensive models.

I am going to suggest to the Group that we bid for about £1500 worth of kit

Possible keyboards being a mix of:-

Yamaha PSR E463 @ £280
Yamaha PSR E353 @ £155
Casio CT X5000 @ £410
Casio CT X3000 @ £300
Roland BK3 @ £400

Any suggestions for other kit or thoughts?

Reaction score
What a great idea! I haven't heard of U3A which is a little shameful, but I just had a quick read and it sounds like a fantastic movement. Good on you :)

Reaction score
What a great idea! I haven't heard of U3A which is a little shameful, but I just had a quick read and it sounds like a fantastic movement. Good on you :)

I had not heard of it until last July, but as nothing happens in August due to holidays I joined it in September. I found a great bunch of people with many Groups already created with people interested in topics that I like, namely; Keyboards, Archaeology, Family History, Photography etc.

Now I have taken on teaching a Group about IT / Computers / Tablets / Smartphones etc and have created our own Youtube channel and enough teaching material for the meetings between now and Christmas.

My Wife is an Art Historian and we have books galore open everywhere as she is researching for a presentation she is going to do hence the pair of us are extremely busy.

The Keyboard group is the one I have just completed the application documents for except for finalising the keyboards to include, just need to discuss it with the Group tomorrow.

Saturday we are off to the Theatre with a Group to see Charles Dicken’s Great Grandson perform on stage recreating the public lectures the great man did all those years ago.

Can thoroughly revommend U3A to anyone in their more senior years.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
We have U3A here in Aus too.
It stands for "University of (for) the 3RD Age"
I am not retired yet (semi-retired) but when I get time I want to join that group. There a a few music courses worth considering.
I would love to play KB amongst friends no pressure to gain confidence to play on stage one day. I'm good enough to play some tunes for public but get nervous and stuff up! I think a group like U3A could help me through stage fright.
Anyway I just rambled on about myself. I wanted to say . . Good idea Col. I hope you succeed in the bidding. I wish you well and one day I might offer your idea to the organisers downunder.
Ray

Reaction score
Ray
There is no age limit to the U3A, but generally most of the Group and monthly meetings are held during the day, at least they are here except for the Culture group who frequent the Theatres in Blackpool, Liverpool, Manchester and others in the North West of England.

Our last speaker at the open monthly meeting was a Lady who spoke about the last train from Prague with Jewish children escaping the Nazi terror, the trains were organised by a Englishman called Nicholas Winton who kept quiet about what he had done for fifty years until he was outed and duly and rightfully Knighted. A very moving experience.

We keep you all advised if I have been successful.

Ps I am also seeking funds of an even greater sum for the purchase of computing equipment for the Computer Group that I lead.

I would expect Melborne to have a great Group, we certainly found it the most cultured City in Oz during our visit there a few years back, especially loved the native art in the Museum there.

Ask a Question