A Complex DS88 Question

HKC

Reaction score
Hi there....

This question can probably only be answered by people who use the mode where you spread several sounds arcross the keyboard (in performance). I am not referring to the split mode with only two sounds but the option you have to spread 16 sounds across the keyboard.
It has to do with adjusting volume (or other things) on the individual parts (zones of the keyboard). Part 1 and 2 are automatically set up to be adjusted by fader 3 and 4 (upper and lower) but is it possible to set up part 3, 4 etc to the other two faders or the assignable knobs.
Ideally I would like to have maybe volume for part 1 and 3 and maybe cutoff for part 2 etc......

I know that people who use their keyboards this extensively are numbered since it's only for deeply arranged live gigs that this is in demand but I'm hoping someone out there has an answer.

NB If this isn't possible then my next question would be, is it possible on the FA-08 ?

All the best
Henrik

Reaction score
Henrik

I apologize for being so long in responding to this, but there was some additional information that I needed from Roland Support. When the Juno-DS is placed in "16 Part" Performance mode, the keyboard can be split into as many as 16 zones, which can be layered, non-layered, and/or over-lapped into just about any desireable configuration by using the Part ON/OFF and Part Keyboard Range parameters.

Any of Continuous Controller (CC) messages 1 through 95 (for contolling such things as volume, filter cutoff, etc.) can be assigned to any of the 4 control knobs (one CC message per knob). The knobs can then be assigned to control any of the "Parts" described above, and one knob can be assigned to control multiple "Parts". The knobs transmit their assigned control messages, simultaneously, to the internal sound engine as well as to external devices via MIDI. This last piece was what I needed to verify with Roland Support. All of this applies as well, to the control knobs in the FA models, with the exception that, in the FA models, knob assignments are memorized on a "Stage Setting" basis, while in the DS models, knob assignments are global. The sliders do not appear to be as fully user assignable as the control knobs, as some of the slider control messages appear to be pre-assigned (or preset) by design.

So, the bottom line answer to you initial question, regarding either the DS or the FA, is a definite "yes", but since you seem to be asking a pre-purchase question, which also mentioned the FA-08, I would caution you that, if you are looking for an onboard sequencer, the DS models are basically stage painos. They do not include onboard sequencers. For that, you need to get into the FA models, but obviously at substantially increased cost.

Good luck on your choice!

Regards,

Ted

HKC

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
In my particular case it turns out that there is no gain by getting the FA-08. The DS88 can do everything that I need and probably more (although I do need a lot of those midi features).
On top of that the DS88 is also the machine that all music shops seem to have in store which means that I can probably rent or borrow one in case something goes horribly wrong on tour (as long as I have a USB back up).

Very nice and hopefully I can recreate most of the old 2080 stuff on this machine without to much hassle.

All the best
Henrik Krogh

Ask a Question