A device for storing a sampleset

Reaction score
Greeting! I'm wondering if there is a device that can store different voices or samples for a digital piano and that a midi keyboard can be connected to that device and play those samples as a daw or contact on a computer? I ask because my piano has an unnatural and bad sound, so I should always carry a laptop to performances, which often bothers me.

Reaction score
Options:-

A digital piano where you like the sounds

MIDI keyboard + iPad or iPhone

MIDI keyboard + rack module

MIDI keyboard + standalone module and a Ketron springs to mind

MIDI keyboard + laptop

Not sure of any other options.

If you add your budget it will give the others an idea of how much of your cash to spend.

Reaction score
I found this V3 Sound Grand Piano sound module. I need something like this, the sound of a stainway grand piano. This module has a beautiful sound, but the price is high, about 400 euros. Is there something similar but cheaper?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been looking for the same thing. Either it's expansive, like the V3, or the sound is bad. If you're handy you could build it yourself with a raspberry and a sound bank. Don't ask me how though. I'm not handy.

Reaction score
The V3 is probably about the cheapest standalone piano sound source you'll find that has decent sound. An iOS device can also be a way to go... if you don't happen to already own such a device, the cheapest is the iPod Touch, as long as they're available. You'll have to add some cabling to attach your keyboard and some sort of speakers. Even with the V3, you'll also have to add some kind of speakers, unless you already have them built into your keyboard, along with some support for external audio input to allow you to play something other than the keyboard's own sounds through its speakers. What keyboard do you have now?

Ask a Question