A DGX-660, an Arturia KeyLab 88 and a Newbie walk into a bar...

Reaction score
A few years back, I bought a Yamaha DGX-660, to revisit the musical passions of my youth. I was fascinated with the capabilities and I like the feel of the keyboard. But as I started delving into crossing the digital divide, I started discovering some of the shortcomings, particularly in the MIDI arena. The interface is, I guess, one channel, and will only transmit the basic notes and structure to a DAW. So in my innate brilliance, I decided I needed to get a MIDI controller serve as interface between the Yamaha. I picked up an Arturia KeyLab88, with Ableton and it's own selection of apps for voices, synths, organs, etc. I then figured out that this setup won't do what i want. So, I think I'm going to keep the Yamaha for pleasure play, and the KeyLab 88 for digital play with.

Do you regulars "grok" what I'm talking about, and do you have any guidance or suggestions? I am really transitioning slowly into the digital world, so your feedback is appreciated, as long as you don't call me an idiot. I already know that :rolleyes:

Ask a Question