A Goofy Kurzweil PC 88 Key Problem

Reaction score
OK, first off let me say I'm not real Technical in the ways of Keyboards. Although I do play some, I'm just not that savvy in the Midi world. I just have a basic understanding.

With that being said, I am having issues with my studios Kurzweil PC 88.

I had recently replaced the internal battery. Although the board was working fine, the old battery was reading low voltage, so we thought we would replace it before it caused any problems.

So I opened up the keyboard case (not much problem, just a lot of screws, a couple of ribbon connectors to unhook to open case), replaced old battery with a new battery that the owners manual called for and put her back together.
I then turned her on and she powered up like she had always done. Since I had just replaced the battery, I did a hard reset and reinitialized the unit as stated to do in the owners manual.

NOW ONTO MY PROBLEM:
After the reboot/reset, everything looked fine, UNTIL I STARTED PLAYING HER.
I now have 16 different keys sending out a weird bell like tone with a fifth note overtone.
The keys are the 1 through 8 keys at the lower end of the board, and keys 41 though 48.
All the other keys will play the right selected tone, i.e., piano, organ, strings, ect.

Now, I know this is NOT a sound engine problem. I know that because I used another keyboard as a controller to play the sounds off the PC88 and the 88 sounds just fine…no bell like tone. But if I use the PC88 as a controller Midied out into another board, the slave plays that bell like tone through it’s sound engine. So this tells me that the problem is in the keys of the PC88 and not it’s sound engine.

Somewhere inside the brain of the PC88 something is turned on telling these certain keys to play that weird bell like tone. And I cannot figure out what is going on!

Everyone who has came into my studio love to play this board. It has great action, so I would hate to see it trashed. I was hoping one of you Keyboard Tech Wizards out there could help me fix this problem.
BTW, I have tried rebooting (Hard Reset) the board several times since this problem began and it does not fix it.

Is there a global switch or something I am missing. Surly it is some kind of Midi controller problem.

Please HELP!

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I'll try contacting them, but I have heard terrible things about Kurzweils support.
So in the meantime if any of you out there have any other ideas why our PC88 is acting up please shoot them to me!

Ask a Question