A great Korg Kross 2 Leslie

Reaction score
Greetings. I saw this post somewhere from a developer for Korg who created a leslie that he claims is extremely close to the Neo Ventilator.
The Korg he used was a Kronos. Below is what he said. Can anyone translate the Kronos leslie paramaters to a Kross2 leslie so we all can have
a great
internal leslie? Any ideas appreciated

HERE IS HIS POST:

Hi all. This is my first post in a long time on this forum. I'm a sound designer/programmer/keyboard tech and I've done factory programs for many Korg products including the M3 Xpanded, Raidas, and the King Korg.

The subject of this post is how to get (IMO) a "better" Leslie sound from the Kronos CX-3 engine. The 2.11 update included the "re-designed" CX-3
with an improved amp and speaker simulation which took it way beyond what the original CX-3 was. However, anyone who has tried running a CX-3 program out one of the assignable outs and into a Neo Instruments Ventilator will tell you that the Ventilator really is the "shizzle" and the CX-3's own Leslie falls, well, a bit short of that.

So I sat down with the goal of improving the Leslie sound using just the Kronos' CX-3 engine, to the point where I could consider not using the Ventilator anymore. And it's not hard to do.

Basically, it's a simple matter of adding the Rotary Speaker OD (effect #075) as an insert effect to the CX3 program. This gives you, technically, "two Leslies", running the CX-3's rotary into the Rotary Speaker OD effect. There are those who might tell you this can introduce phase cancellation or distortion artifacts - personally I don't care. All I know is it does improve the sound.

Here's what you do:
1. Make sure the CX-3 program is using Amp Type 1, and that the speaker is set to "Custom".
2. Place the Rotary Speaker OD effect (#075) into the first Insert FX slot (IFX1)
3. Set the CX-3 program's routing to IFX1
4. Set the Rotary OD's parameters like this:
Switch - Toggle
Wet/Dry balance - between 50:50 and 60:40.
Mic Distance - 30-45
Mic spread - 100
Horn intensity - 0.80
Rotor intensity - 0.75
5. Speed - can be either slow or fast (it should be the same as the CX-3's rotary speed). Now when you throw the Mod lever forward it will change the speed on "both" rotary speakers.

Disclaimer: if the CX-3's rotary is set to fast and the Rptary Speaker OD's speed is set to fast, you will hear the Insert effect rotary play a bit of "catch up" when you exit the CX-3 program and then re-select it from another program. This was the case with the M3 (which featured the same Rotary Speaker OD effect) - it always took a tiny bit of time to "engage". If both the CX-3 rotary and the insert effect rotary are set to slow speed, you won't really hear this "catching-up" effect.

That's it. Now while playing the CX-3 sound, toggle the Insert FX 1 on and off. You should be able to clearly hear the difference. I know I do…it adds that "whistling shimmer" and "horn/rotor separation" that is characteristic of the Ventilator (and a real Leslie 122).

Reaction score
That's interesting! However, the Kross does not have the CX3 engine. There is no equivalent "amp type 1" to select, but moreover, the key to what he's doing is that he's running two rotary effects simultaneously... the CX3 engine's rotary effect AND the stock Korg rotary effect. The Kross only has an equivalent for the latter.

Reaction score
That's interesting! However, the Kross does not have the CX3 engine. There is no equivalent "amp type 1" to select, but moreover, the key to what he's doing is that he's running two rotary effects simultaneously... the CX3 engine's rotary effect AND the stock Korg rotary effect. The Kross only has an equivalent for the latter.
I'll ding around with trying some things. I have a Neo vent so I might be able to trouble shoot what I need. If I get real close, I'll post what I did.
Thank you

Ask a Question