A list of features that I am looking for?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a bass player in a pop/rock cover band, I will be doubbling on keyboards, however I need or want certain features that will help full out our sound. I know we could just hire a keyboard player but at this point, is it not an option. besides I am looking forward to the challeng.
I have read the sticky about the different types of keyboards and I am glad I did, I almost purchased a synth and that would not meet my needs.
So I have made a list of feature to see if what Iam looking for is out there and as a side note question do you think a controller with a laptop will give me these features? I do fear playing live with a laptop being engine for my controller, but they may not be as big of a problem as I think it is.

Thank You for any help you can provide.
Here is the list:

Small footstep - 25 keys
Full size keys
  • Spilt option
  • Sampling capability
  • Store user patches
  • Ability to stack sound ( patches )
  • Use as a stand alone unit
  • Use as keyboard controller
  • Built in user sounds
  • Edit sounds with software
  • Edit sounds onboard
  • Arpeggiator

Reaction score
Hopefully you'll get some of the crew on here popping along shortly with a few suggestions.

You mention "sampling capability" - what do you need to do?

Reaction score
Small footstep - 25 keys
Full size keys
  • Spilt option
  • Sampling capability
  • Store user patches
  • Ability to stack sound ( patches )
  • Use as a stand alone unit
  • Use as keyboard controller
  • Built in user sounds
  • Edit sounds with software
  • Edit sounds onboard
  • Arpeggiator
and let me guess, all for under $250 ......

Reaction score
The sampling is just for a few songs that have some Special FX's. maybe a good start would be to tell me if an keyboard can do all this, then perhaps with some help and research I may learn that I do not need all of those functions. I believe I maybe looking for a workstation, would that be at least the right direction?

Reaction score
Sampling for special fxs on a few songs? If that's it, just triggering one shot playback of little recordings - anyone in the band got an iPhone? Get an app that'll play samples and do it that way. You don't need a keyboard to cover this.

Post back when you've had a google at Alesis Micron and Roland Juno D (check 2nd hand prices where you are). The Roland is 61 keys but small, light and doesn't hold it's price. You should be able to get a bargain. Sound On Sound reviews:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05/articles/rolandjunod.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/alesismicron.htm

Maybe google Korg Micro X - very few keys but small and good selection of sounds.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec06/articles/korgmicrox.htm

Which synth did you almost purchase?

Also see Y_man's post above - do you have a laptop already?

Wes

Reaction score
I'm with goz211 on this. Drop the sampling requirement. Find another way to do the samples. An iPod might even be enough.

That said, 99% of the time when I think I want a sample, I have found something in Yamaha's XG sound effects that will do the job I'm looking for. You might need to think outside the box a bit, I use Bubbles to cover the street noise etc crap in "The Way" by Fastball. It makes the guitar player laugh, but it keeps the tune more danceable since I only do it for four beats, instead if 6-7 of timeless traffic noise and so on.

What tunes do you think you'll want samples for?

If you really really really want samples, look at a dedicated sampler for these. Or a laptop.

Ask a Question