A Problem Regarding my PSR-2100

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a Yamaha PSR 2100 keyboard it suddenly froze while playing and when I try to turn it off and on it won't turn on. What could have happened to it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It could be anything from a failed connector or semiconductor internally to a line voltage spike in the power grid.

First of all disconnect the power adapter and remove any batteries if it uses them and you have them installed.

Then wait an hour before you try and power it up again. Try using batteries instead of the line adapter frst.

If it still won't power up then you have some sort of electrical problem and it needs service.

It probably won't be worth fixing at all unless you have some sort of extended warranty or know someone who can handle electronic repairs for free.

It could be a simple as a faulty power adapter or power connector or as complicated as a blown chip.

Judging by your question here you lack the necessary skills and test gear to perform any major repairs by yourself though.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It's true that I don't have much knowledge about the keyboard or how to fix them. And I think that model doesn't support any external battery source. I'm worried that could it be a dead motherboard or any other big problem? or just some power issue, or maybe a failed fuse?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Flip it upside down. Many older PSR models were designed to work with EITHER a wall wart line adapter OR a half dozen C or D cell batteries. Look for a typical battery compartment or check your manual to find out if it has a battery compartment before you start speculating that MAYBE it doesn't work on batteries.

This is what I mean. If you don't even know this simple fact about your instrument then soldering iron repairs are way out of your league.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Could the problem be a dead motherboard? it's not turning on, no signal, no lights nothing.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK I just scanned the manual. You're correct. It doesn't use batteries. So the next logical step is to check the power supply with a Voltmeter to see if it's outputting the correct voltage.

At this point you want to eliminate the power supply as the culprit.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First place you always look for a dead keyboard or any electronic gadget is the power supply. Those voltage regulators get hot and line spikes can blow them out easily.

Motherboard is the very LAST thing you want to check.

Also check the condition of the power cords for wear and fraying. Also check the power supply connector on the keyboard to see if it wiggles when you touch it.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, this thing is at least 20 to 25 years old judging by the floppy drive. I couldn't find a copyright date on the Yamaha manual.

Be prepared to scrap this thing if it is the motherboard, unless you have a desperate need for it to work and you're willing to find someone who'll fix it at the board level.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Highly likely a regulator IC or Output IC blew in that kind of heat. Hell possibly even the CPU.

Like I said check out the power supply first. Otherwise it's probably not economically fixable,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gustavo, sometimes you have to stop and let go of your old favourite 'board bro. start saving up for something younger and better; even the latter PSR 3000 or PSR s975 if your funds can stretch that far, will win your heart.

Ask a Question