A program that plays Korg style files on a PC’s

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is anyone knows of a free program that plays Korg style files on a PC’s

Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know how Korg style files are formatted, or whether they strictly use MIDI tracks or can also include audio tracks. But as far as I know-- which is based primarily on some knowledge of Yamaha style files and some hearsay about Casio rhythm files-- most style files are simply MIDI tracks that have text markers in them to indicate where the different sections begin, along with one or more proprietary data chunks that the manufacturer uses to store various control parameters related to the style.

Most MIDI programs will import the MIDI portion of a style file and simply discard any data chunks that they aren't programmed to recognize, so one possibility might be to import the style file into a DAW, then see if you can trigger the different sections of the style using some sort of pad controller, or maybe just the computer keyboard. The tricky part would be chopping the imported style into separate tracks and loops based on the text markers, which wouldn't be too difficult except that some of the sections are intended to loop indefinitely, while others are intended to play once and then either segue to another section (usually a specific looped section) or stop (i.e., an Ending section). So the tricky part would be figuring out how to handle all of that within the DAW's capabilities and limitations. You might also need to figure out what additional MIDI data must be embedded within the tracks and loops to compensate for any information which normally comes from the non-MIDI data chunks.

But perhaps the biggest problem is that most styles are designed to play different chords and bass/melody notes based on which chords you're playing in the keyboard's accompaniment zone, and that logic is performed within the keyboard itself as controlled by the special parameters in the style's non-MIDI chunks.

Note that there are computer programs which are specifically designed for working with (auditioning, editing, creating, or converting) style files from various companies-- Yamaha, Casio, Korg, Roland, Ketron, etc.-- but in general such programs are not free, and can be rather pricey. Most DAWs are also not free, although some do have free lite versions available.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, One Man Band looks like an extremely useful program. Except I think it's missing that magic word, "free." ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're looking for "FREE!!!" as in Beer!!! then the answer is simple enough.

Ditch windozer and install Linux :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It depends upon what the Op actually needs.

Korg have two pieces of software related to their arranger keyboards.

Songbook editor where a style is incorporated within a specific song that can be created on their PA series keyboards.

PA Manager which can be used for a variety of tasks.

Former is free, latter is paid.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
It would definitely help to know a little more about what is hoped to be accomplished.

For instance, some Yamaha* owners have literally tens of thousands of style files that they've collected, and they are often interested in being able to "audition" these files in a quick and easy manner on their computer to get an idea of what each one sounds like, rather than having to select each one and play it on their keyboard. (I know the request is about Korg styles, not Yamaha styles, but the scenarios are still relevant.)

Other Yamaha owners want to be able to play back a style file on their computer under automated control (i.e., for the key/chord changes and section changes) and have the computer control the style on their keyboard so they don't need to control it manually.

Or they may want to load the style file into a program on their computer yet control its playback (start/stop, key/chord changes, and section changes) from the keyboard-- the idea being that it's as though they're playing the style on the keyboard except the style is using voices from a virtual instrument plug-in rather than from the keyboard itself, which lets them use sounds that aren't on their keyboards as well as saving some of their keyboard's polyphony since it isn't being used to play the style.

Still another possibility is wanting to play a style file on the computer because one's keyboard can't play it-- e.g., the keyboard might be from a different manufacturer than the style file, or the particular keyboard model might be from the same manufacturer yet be incapable of playing the style file for some reason-- e.g., the style file is of a more complicated type than the keyboard can play (such as four variations versus two variations), or the keyboard can't play style files per se (such as a synth rather than an arranger).

So knowing what the goal is would be helpful.

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is anyone knows of a free program that plays Korg style files on a PC’s

Thanks

Look for KSS Korg Styl Sniffer ................................... Thats what you need !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask a Question