A suggestion for gear upgrading

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to ask for advice regarding an upgrade of my current gear.
First of all, I'd like to specify that my main activity is playing gigs live, I am not into music production.
I currently have a digital piano (Yamaha P45) and a master keyboard 88 keys (M-Audio Keystation MkII) connected to a Macbook pro with MainStage, through a Focusrite 4i4 2nd gen. which is used also to send the signal to the mixer.
I essentially play rock music in a band so I play acoustic or electric piano parts, pads and organs.
Now, this gear would be OK and still is, but I would like to improve some aspects:
- portability: the P45 is 11,5 kg and the M-Audio around 7 kg. I know it's not so much, but carrying around the two keyboards plus all the other equipment very frequently is not so healthy for my back! Have you any suggestion for a digital pianos (or master keyboard with hammer action keys) lighter than that?
- physical controls: both the P45 and the M-Audio lack knobs, faders, tabs that during live gigs it's useful to have at hand to change volumes, effects, patches, rather than do it directly in MainStage. Have you any suggestions for a good 88/61 keys master keyboard to substitute the M-Audio Keystation that features such controls?
Unfortunately I can't dispose of a huge budget, so I have to make my choices considering the best quality/price ratio. I can reach a total amount of max 6-700 euros for a couple of keyboards (3-400 euros each).
Any advice will be useful!
Thank you in advance
Niccolò

Reaction score
Checkout these:-

Studiologic Stage

Studiologic Compact x2 (this has semi weighted keys)

Casio PX S1000 / 3000

Kursweil SP6

Why not get a workstation and have the best of all worlds in just one keyboard?

Roland Juno DS workstation with 88 keys

Korg Kross 2 88

Roland FA 08

Although with some of the above you will be limited to used models to stay within budget.

Considerably over budget but a stage digital piano would bring in:-

Roland RD88

Kawai MP7SE

If you look at these two will give you a standard to work back from.

Reaction score
A Yamaha MODX 06, does not have 88 hammer action keys.

The 06 refers to it being the 61 key version and it has a synth action keybed.

Personally I dislike the Yamaha workstation Menu system, which has layer and layer and layer of navigation. As for sounds pianos are very good, anything else is not to my taste. A MODX 08 @ €1500 it is not exactly within your budget or likely to be as a used model which is another reason why I did not suggest it.

The Roland FA08 is an 88 key model and the keybed has escapement which is not exactly a common inclusion in workstations at this price point, with it being an older design you would probably have a better chance of finding one second hand.

Good luck

Last edited:

Ask a Question