A Very Old Newbie

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, I am 65 and learnt the piano from 7 to 12 under duress from my parents. Recently I decided I would like to take it up again and try to play the type of music I want to hear, blues and swing.
I bought a Thomann SP 5600 and commenced to connect up and press a few notes. I opened the instruction manuals and although I speak English and French I was completely at sea with all the terms being used.
I have really begun to enjoy myself and would like to add a small perhaps 25 key keyboard unit with presets or suitable to install presets.
I have looked at an Akai MPK Mini and wondered if this is something I could connect to my keyboard and play perhaps harmonica or accordian etc on the small keyboard without changing the settings on my main keyboard.
I am not sure what midi is infact I have just learnt what a usb is so please with any advice remember KISS because I am so Stupid or Neul as they say here.

Reaction score
Welcome youngster from a guy a few years older than you who lives over the Channel, or La Manche as I am assuming you are in France since you bought the keyboard from Thomann in Germany rather than a UK based company.

The rest of the folks here have heard it from me before, but to me opening up a keyboard manual is like trying to learn Klingon but stick with is=t you will get there!

Your piano is a Thomann own brand product that already has MIDI and USB connections and if it happens to be near your computer then you can simply connect it up via the USB lead. At its price point it does look like you have a bit of a bargain there as I have just looked at the Thomann website and am listening to the demo songs as I type this response.

Now before I go further can you advise what you have by way of computer (Windows including version or Mac including version and age) and if you happen to have an iPad, which if you do it could well simplify things greatly?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Youtube is your friend.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassuring words. I guess for the amounts involved i will treat myself to the akai and fiddle about with it using youtube as a teaching aid.
I do not have an i pad but have a samsung galaxy using android would this be acceptable for the software do you think

Reaction score
The Akai website shows that there is a mk2 version of the MPK so do take care when ordering that they do not sell you a mk 1 unless it is heavily discounted.

There is software available to download and this video is about said software

There is also a setup video

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums ! As Gary said, "Youtube is your friend". If you run into words/terms you don't understand, the google should help you with that. From my experiences I would recommend going slow with try to learn the technology and just enjoy playing! Don aka B3

Ask a Question