Active monitors / PA for keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi peeps :)

I'm new here, but just wondered what others use with their keyboards for live performances?
I had a pair of KRK Rokit 8's but sold these since they have exposed cones and are near field monitors so unsuitable for gigging.

I have a Tyros 4, and since it has a built in mixer, I see little point in paying for the Stagepas 600i with another mixer, so considering the Yamaha MSR 250 or 400 active speakers. I would have thought that a sub is unnecessary especially with the 400 since this has 12" woofers, but would be interested to know others views and what they use?
I like the Yamaha DXR series and FBT HiMaxx 40a's that my friend Tony Stace uses, but again, both are too expensive.
Will look forward to hearing others views and any advice welcome.

Regards

Rodders :)

Reaction score
I bought one of these to replace my keyboard amp a few months ago after listening to it side by side against a QSC K10 and QSC K12. Overall it had the most clarity and phenomenal bass response. 1000 watt class D power amp means more power than you will ever need (SPL 132db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter). The price is extremely reasonable given how well it rivals speakers $250 more expensive and only 36 pounds yet built solidly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-ELECTRO-...o_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item53fa331335

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
thanks for your reply. I had a look and I agree, they have got a very good name along with the QSC, but both are expensive here in the UK, and double the price of the Yamaha MSR 400. I can get two of those (my Tyros4 is stereo) for the same price! I am only looking to play in small venues such as local pubs or maybe old peoples homes, so the 300 Watts of the MSR will be more than enough for my needs.

Regards

Rodders :)

Reaction score
Just an update on active speakers on my original post of some 20 months ago.

I have since upgraded my keyboard to a Yamaha Tyros 5-76 and a pair of Yamaha DXR 12's which after some trial and error with the Tyros equaliser settings and speaker filter switches, now have a superb sound and more power than I'll ever use!

Great pair of speakers!

Cheers, Rodders :)

Reaction score
Since I frequently send a line out to the pa mix, all my amp needs to do for me is provide that signal out and the speaker acts as my monitor for me to hear myself on stage.
For smaller venues where a pa line is not needed, Sometimes I will take the amp's line out and sent it to a powered monitor and place it at the far end of the stage. I use either a Behringer Ultratone K450 or a Roland KC150 with a Samson x12d powered monitor.

A keyboardist friend of mine likes to place his amp at the far end of the stage from his position , facing him diagonally. Then he is hearing pretty much what everyone else is hearing and it blends in with everyone else. He uses one large amp (Roland KC300) , where I use two small amps.

Ask a Question