ADAM Monitor Speakers

Reaction score
I have heard that the ADAM monitor speakers generally sound warmer than other speakers, has anyone found this to be true?

I have tried many monitor speakers and the thing I found is -

A) Hardly anyone mentions how monitor speakers sound when used with keyboards and synths. Mostly the discussion is about how they sound "in the mix" and how flat they sound and their uses for professional music production.

B) My need is not to find a perfect "sterile sound" for production but a natural and slightly warmer sound for home use only.

Now I know you can EQ the sound to suit but I think that each speaker has a unique sound that lends itself to different styles of applications.

I don't really have a budget but I did look at the ADAM Audio A7X 7 inch which cost about $750 per speaker. I don't think I would want to go higher than that and maybe add a subwoofer to that too so my total is looking like $2K

Natural acoustic sounds for piano, good bass, and a monitor that lends itself to playing live rather than recording and production would be what I am looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS - It is a large room. About 450 square feet

Chris

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have actually started to realize that maybe monitor speakers are not the way to go and I should be investing in a PA system.
After all, this is not a "music studio" I am a keyboardist that wants to play live for my own entertainment and other people.

Am I making sense...

3dc

Reaction score
Studio monitors are intended for studio environment and music production. They are really not suited for gigs. Most of them are not protected for transport or outdoor use. What you need is a PA system that could be used for monitoring. Something like LD Systems Dave 10 G3. The LD System is cheaper then one ADAM A7X monitor but still usable in studio if needed. On top of that its packed with 10" subwoofer so you are all set for entertainment events. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you 3dc for your input... I will look into the LD Systems Dave 10 G3. Seems great that it comes with the subwoofer!

Reaction score
ChrisNabil , PA gear should be on your horizion if you do live performance . Yamaha DXR series make great stage monitors. Of course all of the better brands have their own for consideration. YMMV Don aka B3maniac

Attachments

• DSC05499.JPG
    DSC05499.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC05500.JPG
    DSC05500.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05501.JPG
    DSC05501.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
ChrisNabil , PA gear should be on your horizion if you do live performance . Yamaha DXR series make great stage monitors. Of course all of the better brands have their own for consideration. YMMV Don aka B3maniac
Thank you very much Don, I have been spending a lot of time recently looking at Pa gear Vs Monitor speakers. I feel almost confident to try out a Pa system. The only thing I am thinking is I wonder if any of the detailing in the sounds when played either with a stage piano or synth is compromised. Is the quality of the sound just as good with a Pa system?

Many thanks

Chris

Reaction score
Thank you very much Don, I have been spending a lot of time recently looking at Pa gear Vs Monitor speakers. I feel almost confident to try out a Pa system. The only thing I am thinking is I wonder if any of the detailing in the sounds when played either with a stage piano or synth is compromised. Is the quality of the sound just as good with a Pa system?

Many thanks

Chris
Chris, read up on FRFR speakers. FRFR simply stands for full range, flat response. This means an FRFR speaker can handle any type of tone or frequency fed into it from an amp. The result is a neutral output that emulates the signal as cleanly and accurately as possible.
Don

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Those images look like poster children for hearing loss. :)

Why on EARTH would someone want or NEED something that loud in their living room?

I use a couple of 5" Presonus Eris E5 monitors in my living room and rather than get myself evicted, I never use them above 20% power. In my bedroom studio I have a pair of M-Audio B5a monitors and an 8" Monoprice powered subwoofer.

Either one of those setups can generate intolerable levels of sound for the space they occupy.

Sometimes BIgger is NOT Better... :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have begun to realize that I think my background in music has tainted my judgment. Up until a few years ago I just played the organ and the thing with an organ is generally the sounding is very warm and of course the speakers are built-in.

I have managed great with monitor speakers and I currently have the iLoud MTM's and they suit my need to a point.

I have now realized that if I get a set of micro speakers I am going to need to buy a subwoofer too for the low ends. I still think that the ADAM's with a sub would be great.

I am used to lush sounding instruments and I realize that a stage piano and workstation/synth rig is not the same as an organ.

I WILL get there... lol

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chris >>> Seriously, 450 Sq Ft is the size of the average Starbucks.

You honestly do not need any more than 5" or 6" monitors powered no more than 80 Watts Peak to each one.

Of that anything beyond 10 watts is enough to cause trouble with the neighbours and likely to leave you with permanent hearing loss.

Add a small 8" Subwoofer and you will have the full range of audio to play with.

OR you could simply buy a small home 2.1 amp, a pair of 4.5" Klipsh Speakers and an 8" Klipsh Subwoofer for about the same money all in and plug into that. That's my current Living Room setup for my Onkyo stereo receiver but you could throw in a small mixer and a parametric equalizer and still keep it all under $1000 bucks.

(I posted Best Buy Links instead of Amazon because every couple of months they go on sale for 30 to 40 % off regular price. And they price match guarantee their own products.)

If you truly want to simulate an audiophile's home stereo unit I have to say the Klipsh Subwoofer is the clearest bass I've ever heard. You can hear the fingerprints abrading against the Bass strings. But a word of warning. EQ on my home theater has to be constantly adjusted because those damned THX Dolby commercials can make it levitate at anything more than -6dB. :D

As for "warmth?" Add a tube circuit pedal to your mix or a good parametric equalizer and adjust it all to what sounds right to you.

Forget about your audience. Most of them listen to your masterpieces on their phones with a pair of $10 Ear Candy Earbuds anyway :p

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Klipsh have been pioneers in studio and stage speakers since at least the 80's when I first encountered a pair that would not have been out of place mounted on a concert sound tower.

Their home stuff has carried on the tradition of audio fidelity with the latest generations.

Believe me, after listening to a set of these everything else sounds inferior. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, you're very welcome. Hopefully once we all leave house arrest you can scoot down to a local Best Buy and audition a set for yourself. :)

Or take my word for it. Order a set. Best Buy has a 30 day no quibble money back guarantee and a 30 day no quibble price match guarantee.

Once you've tried them, you won't want to send them back :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing just that Gary! :) . I have never used passive speakers so I will need an amplifier... Do they do Active speakers

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I edited my links while you were posting. I included a link to the Onkyo Stereo Receiver I use as my Home Theater and a link to a combined Mixer/FX/Parametric Equalizer Unit.

I don't think Klipsch does Powered Monitors but a quick google search will either confirm or deny.

The point is that they used to be insanely expensive back in the days when they shipped with replaceable voice coils and I would imagine that the home gear is the same quality with mass quantity prices.

Really any decent amp would work but as long as you're buying an amp you may as well get some decent AM/FM/Bluetooth/CD connections as well. :) Oh yeah, and the Onkyo is also Network Enabled. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Anyway, I know they stock the ones I listed at Best Buy. Otherwise you might have to special order the powered ones somewhere without all the juicy guarantees.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question