Added 2nd Hand Triton to my Motif XF8 - Triton is out of tune

Reaction score
Hi - I just bought a 2nd hand Triton Pro Workstation - got it very cheaply from a neighbor who was moving, so I couldn't turn it down. I am not much of a keyboardist, but I have to admit it is really fun having two really nice keyboards to make noises with. The Triton Pro is a little dated, I realize, but it is very cool nonetheless.

I found a problem however when I tried playing it along side my Yamaha Motif XF8. That kbd is brand new and amazing. They were not in tune with each other, by almost an entire half step. The Korg is sharp. I put a good tuner on them - I am a guitarist and have a Peterson strobe. It showed that the Motif was 439.89 on A 440 and the Triton was 457.85 for the same note. It is reading as a Bb.

I check the master tuning on the Triton and it is set to A=440. I am not sure what to do. Should I set it lower on the Triton until it hits 440 on the tuner? Makes sense, but just not sure if there is a better or "secret keyboardist way" to handle this problem. Maybe it was set high to match a different keyboard and there is some stealth setting I don't know about.

Thanks guys - I am sorry for being a dweeb noob. I really appreciate the help. If it is any consolation I did search the forum first with no luck, so either my search skills suck (highly likely) or there wasn't a lot of info out there on this issue yet.

Joe

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It is possibly one of two things.

1) Check your Triton manual and see if there is a transpose button that accidentally got bumped up by a semitone. I know on my Kurzweil it's very easy to accidentally hit the transpose buttons.

or

2) Check if the pitch bend joystick is out of calibration. If so, there might be a calibration procedure or else otherwise it may need to be replaced altogether.

Pitch bend wheels and joysticks often tend to go out of whack. They are mechanical devices, basically either potentiometers or rotary encoders that suffer a lot of abuse with some players.

Quickest way to check if it is the pitch bend joystick is probably to go into the menu settings and disable it and then test with your guitar tuner.

Gary

Ask a Question