Advice for a beginner please.

Reaction score
I am just retired and thinking of learning the keyboard. I am IT literate but do not play an instrument although learnt the piano a bit when I was a kid. i am looking for a good starter keyboard and have seen a Yamaha PSR-E333 2nd hand in a music shop.

Any suggestions as to type of key board I should start with. Initial budget about £200.

Like Jaz, Pop and a broad range of music really.

The only requirement I can think of is to be able to use headphones so my practicing does not annoy and ability to link to a computer.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
That's interesting, the music shop wanted £209 for that E333! Your link offers one for less than that. What would I be getting extra in 423 for a beginner?

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hmmm.... now that you mention it, I guess the only thing the 423 will give you is really just more sound types, and a greater variety of backing patterns (Yamaha call them "styles")....

The Y-man

Reaction score
I've just seen a 333 on Amazon for £149. In the UK does it come with stand and Power Supply? If not, where can I get these?

Also is there any PC software that interacts/controls/enhances in some way with this keyboard?

The Y_man

Reaction score
I've just seen a 333 on Amazon for £149. In the UK does it come with stand and Power Supply? If not, where can I get these?

Also is there any PC software that interacts/controls/enhances in some way with this keyboard?

Should come with a power supply - but stand you can order from anywhere.... they are not heavy.

Something like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-BMX01-X-frame-Keyboard-stand/dp/B000I1QX2K

PC wise, go to the Yamaha site for drivers.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...oards/psr-e333/?mode=model#tab=product_lineup

You can get sequencing/composisng software for free on the net, and also you can get some pretty cool virtual synths,

The Y-man

Reaction score
It's not a bad place to start. For 200 quid though, why not buy a brand new one????

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/128888/Yamaha+Portable+Keyboard++61+note+PSRE-333

If you can fork out a bit more, I'd go the PSRE-423

The Y-man

I disagree with the Y-Man. The quality of the PSR E333 is the same as the quality of the PSR E423. The difference is more bells and whistles. For learning to play, the simpler the better. You won't use most of the other tones anyway and the pitch bend wheel is also not necessary for learning to play. What is important for a beginner would be the metronome and the record feature. Touch sensitivity is also important, and in your price range, the PSR E333 is the best I've seen anywhere.

I think you have made a great choice in choosing the PSR E333 as a starter keyboard. New or used, Yamaha is very durable and should last a long time. If the used is a super deal, and the use is minimal (no broken pieces or damaged parts) it should work the same as a new one. If not, the new one is still a very reasonable price.

Reaction score

Yamaha offers a Survival Kit which includes a power supply, foot pedal and headphones and DVD's as well as other things. The cost of the power cord and headphones separately is more expensive than the whole survival kit so it is well worth the money.

Reaction score
I've been needing a keyboard for a starter aswell. The Y-man hooked me up some links. I think the Casio CTK2200 was pretty good for $229 in australian money so that might not help althogh you can get it shipped to england. It's got some really good features and stuff. Hope that gave you an idea.

Ask a Question