Advice on inexpensive keyboard for live gigging

Reaction score
Hi all -

Brief explanation: I'm a guitar player and play in a small cover band. Our keyboard player quit, and we had difficulty finding someone who was the right fit, so we picked up a rhythm player and we have used some tracks for the keys on a couple of songs. I would like to avoid this if possible, so I have been learning the key parts on some of the songs. I know VERY little about keyboards and their capabilities, so I was hoping for some input from you all.

Our previous keyboard player had a very nice keyboard and he would occasionally record intros/string parts (assuming they were midi files), etc. on the keyboard, and play them back freeing him up to play other parts, rhythm guitar, etc. I'm looking to do the same thing.

I'm looking for an inexpensive keyboard (not necessarily 88 keys) that will allow me to do things similar to this, as well as possessing decent acoustic piano sounds and some synth ability (apeggiators etc.). Since I don't seem myself making the transition from guitarist to full-time keyboardist, it's hart to justify a lot if dough.

I've looked at the Yamaha MX49 which is around what I would like to pay, as well as the Korg Kross 61, and one of the Casio series in the same price range.

My question is, will the MX49 do what I'm looking to do? Is there a better option in my price range (400-600ish)?

Any suggestions will be most welcome!

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You've pretty much hit all the right targets already. The Korg Kross 61, The Casio WK-7600 and the Casio XW-P1 all have decent "bread and butter sounds" and they pretty much fill the bill in the $400 to $600 range.

Personally I find 49 keys too limiting and prefer at least 61 keys.

I'm also not a big fan of Yamaha's policies when it comes to open architecture on their keyboards.

Otherwise you might consider looking at Craigslist if you want to save a few bucks and pick up a used Korg X50 or some other pro keyboard for a 35% discount over new price.

Anyway, the only way to really know if a keyboard suits your needs is to do your research, watch the youtube demos and tutorials and really you need a hands on experience to ultimately know whether or not a keyboard suits your style.

Good luck and happy hunting. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have been watching demos for a couple of weeks now, which is how I got to where I am at, but none of the demos touch, if at all, the midi/playback capabilities....which is why I thought I'd ask the people in the know :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Generally speaking, if it has some sort of media slot it is capable of playing back MIDI files on its own.

All of the models listed however have either both USB and MIDI ports or at least a USB port allowing you to interconnect with other MIDI devices directly or using the USB thru a computer.

Likewise even a $100 Casio these days can play back a computer MIDI file with the help of a USB connection.

In order to do standalone MIDI file playback however, the keyboard usually requires some sort of media slot and some sort of on board sequencer.

Refer to the specs of the models you are most interested in to find out which ones have the capability. I will say that both of the Casio models I listed are capable of standalone MIDI playback.

Korg Kross I'm not so sure. Check the specs.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question