Advice on small monitor setup

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on how to build a very small listening setup for a couple of keyboards in my living room. I'm totally new to this kind of setup, so apologies/thanks in advance for any advice you can offer on some very basic questions.

Here is the goal I'm aiming for: I have a Sequential Prophet Rev2 and a Rhodes Mark I Stage and I would like to be able to listen to them through a small pair of monitors (such as Presonus Eris 3.5's or 5's or similar). I'm looking for the simplest/smallest/most compact possible connection between those points. I would also like the setup to be flexible/expandable, in the sense that if I were to add a third keyboard at some point I could simply plug it into the appropriate point in this setup and be good to go.

Obviously sound quality is not the top consideration here. I've been listening to the Rev2 exclusively through headphones and the Rhodes through an old bass amp. I would like to eliminate the need for an amp in this space in favor of compactness/simplicity. Just something simple I can listen to quietly in my living room. No gigging/taking out of the house necessary.

Here are my specific questions that I haven't quite been able to get clear on from reading this and other forums:

1. Do I need a small mixing console to sit between the keyboards and the monitors? Or is this something that a smaller audio interface like a Focusrite can do? (I don't need to do any recording and I don't want this setup to require a computer anywhere.)

2. Do I need a DI to sit between the Rhodes and whatever it is running into?

3. Do I need a dedicated preamp for the Rhodes? Or is this something that the right kind of mixing console might provide?

I'd be very grateful for any advice, both on understanding the pieces I'll need to put this together and any specific hardware recommendations. Many thanks!

Reaction score
Welcome.

A small Mixer with enough inputs for all your kit and two or three pairs spare for kit yet to be bought is the first to buy. I use a Behrinder but there are plenty of options to choose from

Then a pair of small powered speakers, I use a pair of PreSonus Eris 4.5 inch which work well and sound very good.

I presently only have one keyboard but also feed into my mixer a mike, electric guitar, electro Uke and an audio pair from my iPad.

You will not need a DI, they are for longer cable runs to the sound guys mixer desk

The Mixer has gain adjustments per input pair so its a suck it and see state before buying more kit

The headphones you see are connected to the Mixer so I can hear all the sounds feeding into the Mixer if I do not want the Eris 4.5 turned on

6953A6BA-92E7-4B86-A212-3780AAB5D608.jpeg
24D07943-D23A-4D04-BEC5-39E940F4345D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for the replies! This is very helpful for getting the basic picture down.

I'm getting a small Mackie mixer to go with Presonus Eris 3.5's. Will see how the Rhodes sounds going into one of the mic inputs, and adjust as necessary afterwards if it needs something more.

Ask a Question