Advice on updating my rig

Reaction score
Hello, I´m new here.

I need some advice in order to update my rig. I´m not a pro, just a working dad trying to start a new pop-rock band after a few years of silence. I miss the action!
My main idea is to start by selling my old sinths and buying something new, getting new and better sounds without breaking the bank.
My ideal setup would be something light and easy to use, just two keys. Typical use: Some piano or EP down, and strings, brasses, organs, bells, etc, on a second sinth.

I´m selling my Korg X3 in order to buy a new M 50 -good sounds, great interface-, but I´m not sure about the keybed -61,73? I know about 88...but it´s maybe out of my league...
I´m using the X3 as a controler with an EMU proteus 2000, with protozoa and B3 expantions. I also have a Roland A-33 as my main controler with a Roland jv-1010 module for piano and ep sounds. I like 76 keys for piano sounds, 73 could work but not 61.

My questions: Should I sell the A-33, JV 1010, and EMU and get a second 61 keys sinth, with an M50 73 as my first? I´m not sure about the M50´s pianos and B3. Should I keep the A-33 and get a new module, using the M50 as the bread and butter sinth?

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
For light and easy...I'd go with the Nord Electro 3. Then, get workstation of ur choosing for any extras U may need. The Electro 3 will give U awesome pianos, organs, EPs, wurli, clavs, and strings. It also gives you some of the old Mellotron and Chamberlin sounds. When I travel light...I use this as my primary and a Korg Triton Extreme 61 as my #2. U have some good older gear. Should U sell it...idk. But here's an idea for U to think about. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thank you, Musicman.

Nord electro 3 sound like a good option for #1, or maybe some decent light stage piano. Any other ideas?
I played M50 today, and even when it´s very good, I don´t like the piano sound. E Pianos are very good and strings and leads are great. Organs are pretty good, but I prefer Proteus exp. B3. I think M50-61 makes a better option for #2, as you said.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Sell nothing. Join a band and get rehearsing. It'll be clear what you need once you're gigging.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thank you, guys.

I have bought the M50 61. Happy by now, tons of good sounds and user friendly. A little plastic, it's true...

I'm trying to sell the X3 but it's not easy, the floppy drive is dead!

I'm writing new songs and rehearsing some covers with a couple of friends, a singer and a bass/guitar player. Sound promising.

I'll keep in touch,

J

Ask a Question