Advice on upgrading my keyboard

Reaction score
Warning, i know nothing about this. at all... ):

Im currently using a simple, plug in wall and play type keyboard, like the ones you used to have as a kid :),

I hate it, it has harsh preset sounds which are pathetic and it sounds like shi. . . well, bad through an amp :(

I want to buy a keyboard preferbly under 100£ 'cus im 17 :\, that can connect to a laptop and use software such as Reason 3. 0, but something that doest need the laptop to play live, just an amp, keyboard and plug. But has the memory capabilities to withold and allow me to use these sounds, or would the laptop be nessasary for stage use?

Is this even possible or would I need other, [expensive?] equipment to achive this?

Edit - After a couple of hours of research and money counting, i've found that something similar to the Korg X50 is to my tastes, they retail at around 300£ though, so im willing to spend around 100-150£ on it after realising that all im going to get for less is going to be bad.

Yet again, i still have very little knowledge on the subject and could do with some advice :), would i also have to run this through a keyboard amp or would a normal amplifier do?, i already have a bass amp handy

Reaction score
, would i also have to run this through a keyboard amp or would a normal amplifier do?, i already have a bass amp handy

Any amp/speaker combination will be enough to produce sound, whether it be a 'hi-fi' amp/speaker(s) or anything else similar - as long as you have the appropriate connecting leads.

A bass amp will (sort of) do the job, but this is called a 'bass' amp for a reason...
That reason being that it is designed for a bass guitar - which does not produce the high upper-octave notes (ie:frequencies) that you get on a keyboard, therefore the 'quality' of sound will not be a match for that of a designated 'keyboard amp'.

Reaction score
thanks for the detailed info, i'll just use that until i can invest in a keyboard amp or something, or a good set of headphones :),

any info on good keyboards similar to the X50?

Reaction score
[quote
any info on good keyboards similar to the X50?[/quote]

Nothing in the price range comes close to the Korg X50, but if you want go for more 'realistic' acoustic-type sounds,
Yamaha's MM61 may fit the bill.

Reaction score
yeah, it's great haha, but still like 300£.
I'll spend some more time looking into cheaper alternatives, well 180£ isn't cheap, but cheaper alternatives haha

Thanks for the info and pointing me in the right direction :)

Ask a Question