Affordable synth workstation sound question

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm looking for 2nd hand synth that I will be using as a MIDI controller for PC and also to play without computer. I will be using mostly piano and synth sounds. It's ok to have sequencer, knobs would be cool.

Now I'm choosing between Juno G, Korg TR, Yamaha MOX. I don't have any synth so far.

While piano sound on all devices would be probably good enough for me, I'm not sure about synth sounds. On YT demos it seems to me that Juno g synth sounds are the most analog and warm from those 3. Is it only my impression or maybe recording quality, patch setting or it is indeed Juno sound character?

Could I make sounds similar to that on TR or MOX? On their demos they sounded to me like more cold, not so warm as juno. Seems to me like Juno is more capable to do something like that.

Or maybe You could recommend any different model?

I will be grateful for any responses.
Greetings,
K

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In your price range you could also look at a used Kurzweil SP5-8 or PC3X or a brand new Casio PX-5S (Don't be put off by the Casio name. It's an amazing professional instrument)

Either of these could easily fill your laundry list of requirements.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I owned a Korg TR76 for years before I sold it and bought a PC3K8. The Korg's keys are not weighted hammer action on the 76 model but they do have aftertouch. They are very nice and quick for fast runs too.

As for programming it, the manuals contain extensive documentation but they read like phone books translated from Hindi to Swahili to English :p

The Korg also had the least aftermarket support, both from users and the company of any synth I have ever owned.

I don't doubt that it could be made to emulate those Roland Pad sounds, but you'd be entirely on your own when it comes to figuring out how to do it.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One Korg that may be worth looking at in your budget as well is the King Korg. Like the Roland SH-201 it is a virtual analogue synth with bread and butter sounds as well.

Cowboy who's a regular poster on this site owns one and could expound its virtues to you at length.

Otherwise all the synths you previously listed are ROMplers and not Virtual Analogs. It's really not fair to compare the two.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Did someone rattle my cage? :)

As Gary has said, I could bore you at length discussing the King Korg, as I am seriously in love with it. Rather than do that to you, I'll simply say that as a VA synth, it is wonderful - it sounds fat and buttery. I recently programmed a new lead sound on it and my band mates just about wet themselves when they heard it through our PA at rehearsal. Check this out for a great example of what one of these beasties can do in the right hands.

The only reservation I would have for your usage is that I don't think the piano sounds on it are very good, I use a Kurzweil for all my piano and EP sounds.

Cheers!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My god. That Cory Henry soloing on the Korgs could give Jan Hammer a run for his money. That man has an amazing set of hands~!

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeah he's fantastic isn't he?

The think I love most about that clip is the reaction of Shaun Martin, who is also an amazing keys player in his own right.

Ask a Question